AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired the material for building a screen. (yes it’s cheap stuff, but it’s a start) I have a 5.1 receiver with a center speaker. This is my dilemma…should I try to mount the speaker behind the screen or below it?

Also, I’m building a cabinet to hold my equipment. I have a powered sub that I want to put in the bottom of the cabinet. It will sit on the carpet because I’m not putting a bottom on the cabinet. Any thoughts if this a good idea or bad one?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
410 Posts
Only place the speaker behind the screen if the screen is made from acoustically transparent material.

The sub in the cabinet idea is not a good one. Speakers move air. Subs move lots of air. They also create sound waves. Picture the sound wave as being similar to the ripples in a still pond when you drop a pebble in. Now drop a big ole freakin' huge rock in there. See all those strong waves?

The cabinet will resonate, you will have all kinds of deflected waves...

But don't take my word for it. Try it both ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. My problem is that I have a 3 and 4 year old that play in that same room I'm going to put the sub. I will need to find some way to protect it while not in use...

Any idea's?

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.