AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my system today. 3.1 Athena speakers with an Onkyo 504 and Paradigm PS1000. I set the subwoofer to 75db with my meter, but IT IS RIDICIOUSLY LOUD and muddy. It sounds terrible. I don't understand what I could have done wrong. I set all the speakers to small and have tried 120, 100 hz crossovers. ideas?

· Registered
975 Posts
Did you match it at 75 db in line with the mains at 75 db? Stupid question but I have to ask.

You don't have to actually listen at that level, that is just the level for calibration.

You may have to move the sub from it's current location.

Here's a good read for you for tuning your sub:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ide...?topicID=47166

· Registered
878 Posts
Besides trying different placements, if you want to really calibrate it "flat"(even with the other speakers), you'll want a reading of about 72dB on a Radio Shack(my assumption) meter to accomodate for its known sensitity flaws reading at the lower octaves a sub puts out.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
80Hz crossover in the receiver. Try engaging the crossover in the sub as well to help filter out the higher bass frequencies going to the sub.

Placement is also crucial. Since you have an SPL meter, get Avia and run some bass sweeps to see how flat or bumpy your response is.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
The crossover should be at 80Hz not higher,unless you have very small mains.

To help the situation move the sub along side the wall out of the corner and listen.

And above all match the SPL of the sub and mains,the sub should not overpower the mains.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Did you match it at 75 db in line with the mains at 75 db?"

"And above all match the SPL of the sub and mains,the sub should not overpower the mains"

Are these variations on the same concept? I think I did this but I'm not sure. This is what I did: I calibrated each speaker and the subwoofer individually to 75db with pink noise. I feel like I'm missing something basic. The sub definitely overpowers the rest of the system. It's just a loud rumble of low incoherent noise.

· Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorkp /forum/post/0

"And above all match the SPL of the sub and mains,the sub should not overpower the mains"

Are these variations on the same concept? I think I did this but I'm not sure. This is what I did: I calibrated each speaker and the subwoofer individually to 75db with pink noise. I feel like I'm missing something basic. The sub definitely overpowers the rest of the system. It's just a loud rumble of low incoherent noise.

Sounds like the levels are not matched from your description.

You should be able to do a very good job using the most basic Rat Shack meter and your ears.Even if the meter indicates the output is matched,know the basic SPL meters are not accurate for measuring deep bass(there is a thread pinned at the top of this forum). And in this case use your hearing and decide to what level you have to lower the gain on the sub/receiver.

Any sub no matter how inexpensive or expensive can overpower and intrude,set the level on the sub lower.And keep it where you feel the bass is not most natural sounding.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
having pink noise through the sub @ 75db with my Radio Shack meter is downright scary. Everything is shaking! The meter registers 75db with the control at maybe 3-4 notches on the paradigm. But when listening to programming, it's boomy and overbearing. It only sounds right when the control is a hair above zero. I know people will say that you have to ultimately decide on what sounds right, but I think something is wrong and I don't know what it is!

· Registered
610 Posts

Quote:

having pink noise through the sub @ 75db with my Radio Shack meter is downright scary. Everything is shaking! The meter registers 75db with the control at maybe 3-4 notches on the paradigm. But when listening to programming, it's boomy and overbearing. It only sounds right when the control is a hair above zero. I know people will say that you have to ultimately decide on what sounds right, but I think something is wrong and I don't know what it is!

You might be right, something must be wrong. Because Using the AVR's tones or even AVIA at 75 db's isn't really that harsh through the Sub.

It should be a loud rumble but nothing overbearing, even with running a Sub 10 db's hot with tones shouldn't be too overbearing during setup.

If anything the pink noise at 75 db's coming through the mains is annoying but I never think the sub sounds that way.

· Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:

Are you using AVR test tones or an Avia DVD to calibrate?

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Need to test with Avia's sweep tones. There could be some really bad frequency response at play.

· Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:

What you have said in the above is not helping us here. What music and what film soundtracks have you been playing?

· Registered
61 Posts
Is it possible you're using the SPL meter's A-Weighting instead of C-Weighting? Since A-Weighting starts rolling off at like 300Hz, so it could make a sub seem insanely loud, without affecting the calibration of the mains all that much, since a lot of the energy comes from the midrange.

Hope this helps...

--Greg

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/0

What you have said in the above is not helping us here. What music and what film soundtracks have you been playing?

The football playoff games yesterday, 24, LOTR fellowship of the ring, Thank You for Smoking. That's off the top of my head. But I feel the specifics aren't necessary, since everything sounds bad.

GregI'm using the metter C-weighted with slow response.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Just bad placement leading to boomy response, where you hear a small range of frequencies much louder than everything else. This makes all bass sound like the same note, the same boom.

· Registered
10,522 Posts

Quote:

Did you use the RS meter? If yes you should read 72db for the sub reading, compared to the other channels.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/0

Did you use the RS meter? If yes you should read 72db for the sub reading, compared to the other channels.

I did use a RS meter, and it's set to about 62dB right now. Ultimately, I think I'll have to invest in an EQ

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Run Avia's sweep tones so you at least know what the response looks like. A large peak could be throwing off the calibration and making it sound bad during playback. But you want to know before you buy an eq.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.