AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because of my narrow basement room i need to put my sub in the back of the room. almost all home theater use. will be able to place in a corner postion. is this a bad idea to be behind the listener? are some subs better suited to be located anywhere in the room? thinking about the HSU vtf-3. thanks for any help.

· Registered
15,021 Posts
When I went to Hsu Research for a demo, behind the couch is where Dr. Hsu had his VTF-3. It sounded great for music, the Lord of The Rings was incredible.

If you email them the specifics of the room.....they will give you ideas of placement.

I left with a VTF-3, but mine is in the corner of the room.

· Registered
644 Posts
If you do some research there are some good articles on the fact that you shouldn't put the subs behind you. If I was all scientific I could explain this reason. ;)

I think it has something to do with the front speakers and the sub freq mixing from the front and rear direction. Not sure but if it's your only spot then it's your only spot.

· Registered
383 Posts
Placing the sub behind the seating position is fine. It may not be the absolute best postion (acoustically speaking), but if the majority of your use if for movies/HT, you're not likely to notice slight bass variances all that much. Sub placement becomes much more of a serious issue when it comes to critical music listening, in my opinion. Besides, if you only have one or two spots where the sub can be placed because of asthetic reasons...There you go. Nothing you can do about it. Place it. Calibrate it. Enjoy it. Forget it.

--Steve

· Registered
707 Posts
As long as you use a crossover point of 100 Hz or lower and make sure that your subwoofer levels are calibrated properly, placement in the rear of the room will work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.