AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello, first post here.  Sunday night I had my FJ62 towed to my mechanic and someone stole the sub box out of the vehicle.  Of all the things they could have taken this was probably the worst. I have had a previous break in before and they stole the amps and head unit but my speaker box survived. 

Now I am faced with replacing the unit.  I have a JL 500/1 amp powering the subs (replacing a dearly loved zapco from the first break in) and the subs are 3 10" Eclipses in a sealed unit. Very well built.  At some point I had the subs checked out and apparently Eclipse doesn't make the caliber of subs that were stolen any more.  

I am looking to get them replaced. As far what I am looking for: I love huge bass but I can't stand even the slightest rattle.  I know JL make great subs (and amps) but I also realize that there is a curve and that often you are paying for a name.  My biggest thrill is loving big drops (DJ for 14+years) but I also can't handle muddy spl driven only subs.  I am tempted to go with 12"s.  I am probably going to actually sell my truck soon (1989 Toyota Landcruiser) but atm space isn't an issue. These actually came from a 1998 GSX (where admittedly they filled the hatch).  My friend has a setup of 3 12"s but for whatever reason I don't particularly like the sound (RFs and placed backward right against the gate on an FJ).   I previously had a single 12" CV sub and liked it although I think the 3 10"s hit pretty hard.  The amp is only 500 although JL marked on the side of the box that this one in particular was rated closer to 750 (apparently this is a thing JL does).

I know opinions are a dime a dozen but what it boils down to is I am trying to recoup my losses and really the only way to feel good about it is to improve.  This might mean getting a new vehicle and different configuration.  And although it sounds I am flush maybe, I am not and in fact have been laying money into my dying truck like it was a boat.

Thanks in advance. Again looking for opinions on 10"s vs. 12"s, ect number of subs a 500 can push (and I might be willing to sell and rebuy a higher powered amp) and on a budget. I loved my sealed setup but might be willing to go with ported, but probably not some sort of bandpass setup.  If there are even coins in my console shaking it ruins it for me but I LOVE a good drop. I listen to mainly electronica, that being breaks, dubstep ect. although I still love listening to Bach, a lot of acoustic and everything else. My current system (until Sunday night) pulled it off pretty well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My condolences to your loss.

Those subs are going to be hard to replace. I am betting they were the ones built by TC Sounds. Were they Eclipse Titaniums? Have a metal cone?

Regardless, it should be fairly easy to get you back to chest kicking bass.

Let's start with the TC Sounds Epic series of subs. Similar to what you had most likely unless the Eclipses rocked the 3HP motor and if that was so, I am really sorry for your loss and we need to get a bunch of people together to go hunt the thieves down. My bet is it was someone who worked at the mechanic or tow service.

If the subs you had did have the 3HP motor then the TC Sounds Axis series. They are pricey though and you are going to want more amp.

Sundown Audio has become a player in the Audio world by offering up great products that get loud and sound good doing it. With actual engineering behind their designs. Their SD subs (run them sealed) or the SA (ported) are fantastic for the money.

JBL GTO subs are hidden gems. Cheap, sound great can be found about anywhere online.

While you are changing, have you considered going even larger that a 12" sub? The misconception is bigger subs sound slow or some other incorrect assumption. I was a huge follower/user of 10-12" subs and sealed enclosures. When i got back into car audio in 2007 I went big and ported. I will never go back unless space or budget is the determining factor. Bigger subs are just more efficient than smaller ones. They are able to play all octaves of bass more efficiently and cleaner than smaller subs. They just take up more room. If you are thinking 2 12's give a look at a single 15 or 18 inch sub. You will be surprised at what you hear.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
those 10" eclipse subs from the early 90's were my favorites...i owned a single 10 and it was so clean and loud. I cannot imagine 3 of them.

Sorry for your loss.

the Dbag doesn't have a clue what he has and will probably sell the box for $50 to buy crack.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for your replies. Sorry so long to respond. My truck is now pretty much dead anyway. I am probably going to rip out the stereo and get what I can for the truck.  Temporarily I am going to borrow a single 12" Cerwin Vega my brother has already in a box that he isn't using. I am completely open to a larger sub.  The box I had for the 10"s was great in my truck for for the time being I am going to be driving around in the world's most boring sedan. It does have a big trunk though.  I wonder if it is possible to sample an already boxed 15" or 18" sub. I am a sucker for the chest kicking bass you speak of. 

They were not the metal ones although I have seen them. The motors on them were huge as **** though and weighed a ton.  

Here are the subs in my truck  http://www.flickr.com/photos/josefgabriel/sets/72057594115816780/

Here they are in my GSX that were installed when I bought it 
More GSX pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josefgabriel/sets/72057594116385644/

And while I am digging around on my hardly ever used Flickr account here is an enclosure we built for four 12"s for my buddy's FJ cruiser

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josefgabriel/sets/72157619217742463/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was that a VCR I spied in the back of the car? Straight pimpin son!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Lol, yes. The previous owner installed everything or had it installed. Remember this is circa 1998 so it fits. There was also a N64 connected to it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts