AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read tons of links and still don't quite understand how to calibrate a subwoofer. If I have an SPL meter (radio shack), what exactly am I doing and in what order? I understand subs are supposed to be calibrated @ 75db, but I don't even know how to get there. Run Onkyo test tone and adjust onboard level until meter reads 75db? Then, in some places it mentions setting mains first. I'm totally confused.

I would just run Audyssey but my sub manufacturer advises AGAINST using it (Elemental Designs). I'm also running dual subs, and what I've seen mentions calibrating them together, not one at a time. I just need someone to spell it out in simple steps or terms. I don NOT have any burned test tones at this time, so I'm just using the test tone that the Onkyo has onboard. Thanks guys...I'm reading everything I can but most links assume you know the most basic steps...and I don't

FYI...right now my subs have the their volume set @ 12:00 and the Onkyo level is set at -9.0db. Distance is set same as mains...which they are. hose two settings were what Audyssey recommended, but I have turned Audyssey off, but kept those 2 settings. My mains are crossed at 60hz, center and surrounds at 80hz and my LPF for LFE is set to 100hz crossover. As of right now I'm mildly underwhelmed by the subs, but if I creep up the gain on the receiver the subs get too hot for some movie passages. I just want to calibrate it in such a way where I can comfortably crank my system for most movies without having to turn down the subs.

Running dual A5-350's...setup in my room in a "stereo" config...1 between center and each main in front of seating position.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Can't imagine why eD would recommend against using Audyssey - that's where I'd start. Unless you have an EQ dedicated to the sub in the loop.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Dude just run audyssey and be done with it. Adjust your sub trim to your preference. I don't know why elemental advises against it but the most likely reason is because they want to try and sell you one of their equalizers.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I think ED recommends against Audyssey because of a belief that it boosts frequencies below the tuning point of their ported subs which has caused issues with some folks in the past.I have no Audyssey experience so I can't say if its true or not, presumably you can run it and check settings afterward?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy
Using your spl meter set each sub to 75db. Then run audyssey and your set. Go to the audyssey thread and follow the set up guide. I run dual ed subs with audyssey.
Thanks for all the input guys...really appreciate it. But, to the above poster: Can you explain HOW to set subs to 75db? Using meter, how far from subs? Using test tone from Onkyo? It's when people say, "just set to 75db, then run Odyssey". I don't know what that means! lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Don't listen to eD... Run audyssey, I did with dual A5's and I loved the results. Can't help with the 75db setting though as don't know how to do it either.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team
Don't listen to eD... Run audyssey, I did with dual A5's and I loved the results. Can't help with the 75db setting though as don't know how to do it either.
From the listening position and set your spl meter to slow and c weighting. Possibly the 2nd audyssey screen will measure this for you if your lucky.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt /forum/post/20875451

Thanks for all the input guys...really appreciate it. But, to the above poster: Can you explain HOW to set subs to 75db? Using meter, how far from subs? Using test tone from Onkyo? It's when people say, "just set to 75db, then run Odyssey". I don't know what that means! lol

Go here for quick setup for sub: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10397679 or here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt /forum/post/0

I have read tons of links and still don't quite understand how to calibrate a subwoofer. If I have an SPL meter (radio shack), what exactly am I doing and in what order? I understand subs are supposed to be calibrated @ 75db, but I don't even know how to get there. Run Onkyo test tone and adjust onboard level until meter reads 75db? Then, in some places it mentions setting mains first. I'm totally confused.

I would just run Audyssey but my sub manufacturer advises AGAINST using it (Elemental Designs). I'm also running dual subs, and what I've seen mentions calibrating them together, not one at a time. I just need someone to spell it out in simple steps or terms. I don NOT have any burned test tones at this time, so I'm just using the test tone that the Onkyo has onboard. Thanks guys...I'm reading everything I can but most links assume you know the most basic steps...and I don't

FYI...right now my subs have the their volume set @ 12:00 and the Onkyo level is set at -9.0db. Distance is set same as mains...which they are. hose two settings were what Audyssey recommended, but I have turned Audyssey off, but kept those 2 settings. My mains are crossed at 60hz, center and surrounds at 80hz and my LPF for LFE is set to 100hz crossover. As of right now I'm mildly underwhelmed by the subs, but if I creep up the gain on the receiver the subs get too hot for some movie passages. I just want to calibrate it in such a way where I can comfortably crank my system for most movies without having to turn down the subs.

Running dual A5-350's...setup in my room in a "stereo" config...1 between center and each main in front of seating position.

If you want to use an SPL meter then you need test tones; however, with dual subs it is a herculean project to do it. You've invested a lot of money in your system, spend another 1-3 hundred and buy measuring gear to properly place your dual subs. Using measuring gear will give you the greatest bang-for-the-buck improvement in SQ by far.

Using the tones in your AVR is basically a waste of time and I would just use Audyssey and forget about it if that is the route you're going to take. The 75 dB is at your primary listening position and is simply related to setting the sub level to reference when AVR volume is at 0 dB (relative scale)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc /forum/post/20877113

If you want to use an SPL meter then you need test tones; however, with dual subs it is a herculean project to do it. You've invested a lot of money in your system, spend another 1-3 hundred and buy measuring gear to properly place your dual subs. Using measuring gear will give you the greatest bang-for-the-buck improvement in SQ by far.

Using the tones in your AVR is basically a waste of time and I would just use Audyssey and forget about it if that is the route you're going to take. The 75 dB is at your primary listening position and is simply related to setting the sub level to reference when AVR volume is at 0 dB (relative scale)

Okay, I get some of what you're saying. Follow me though...If I open up my menu in my receiver and select 'level calibration" under speaker settings, the tones it spits out are not effected by my receiver's volume level. So, if I didn't want to run Audyssey, I would just play the test tone through each speaker and subs, one at a time and adjust level in receiver until SPL meter at my listening position reads 75db?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

Okay, I get some of what you're saying. Follow me though...If I open up my menu in my receiver and select 'level calibration" under speaker settings, the tones it spits out are not effected by my receiver's volume level. So, if I didn't want to run Audyssey, I would just play the test tone through each speaker and subs, one at a time and adjust level in receiver until SPL meter at my listening position reads 75db?

Yes but your sub should be around 80db

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt /forum/post/20875081

"Stereo" config??? Does that mean you're not using the subwoofer output on your receiver? If so, that changes everything about how you calibrate. How *exactly* do you have your subs connected?

Craig

·
Registered
933 Posts
While I know there is differing opinions on this I would set the LPF of LFE to 120. While there isn't always a lot of content above 80hz in the LFE channel sometimes it is there and any setting below 120hz will be throwing that content away.

Remember this is only on the LFE channel and has nothing to do with redirected bass from the mains.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I have have the MultEQ that comes aboard the Onkyo HT-RC180. By stereo config, I just meant the subs both sit in between the center channel and mains under my screen.

So, would I be adjusting the level calibration to 80db because of the Radio Shack SPL meter or some other reason?

Thanks again for your input everyone.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I have have the MultEQ that comes aboard the Onkyo HT-RC180. By stereo config, I just meant the subs both sit in between the center channel and mains under my screen.

So, would I be adjusting the level calibration to 80db because of the Radio Shack SPL meter or some other reason?

Thanks again for your input everyone.

The radio shack meter is off a little bit. You can actually download a calibration correction table is actually available to download. It gives you the correction at different frequencies. At 75 db it's only a few db off but most prefer to run a few db hot on the LFE channel as well. Its all personal preference. You will also need to change the distance settings as well. One easy way to accomplish this is to run audyssey and then just switch it off if you prefer not to use it and it will still leave the measurements intact. Is there any other particular reason you are against audyssey besides eD telling you not to?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20879369

The radio shack meter is off a little bit. You can actually download a calibration correction table is actually available to download. It gives you the correction at different frequencies. At 75 db it's only a few db off but most prefer to run a few db hot on the LFE channel as well. Its all personal preference. You will also need to change the distance settings as well. One easy way to accomplish this is to run audyssey and then just switch it off if you prefer not to use it and it will still leave the measurements intact. Is there any other particular reason you are against audyssey besides eD telling you not to?

No, not really. I had access to an SPL meter so I was thinking about calibrating that way. I think I'm just going to use Audyssey. ED didn't want me to use it because they claims it can boost certain frequencies incorrectly. What I find odd about that is it's my understanding that MultEQ can't do that to subs, just their levels/distance. Anyway...seems like running it isn't such a bad thing after all.

One more question: if after running Audyssey, if i want to bump up the sub volume, is it best to do with the receiver or use the sub gain knob?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.