AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I play the receivers test tone through each speaker, the levels on the satellites jump around 1-2db. On the sub pink noise the meter seems to swing at least +/- 5db. Does everyone take an average or do you look at the place where the meter spends most of the time during the pink noise being played?

I assume what I'm seeing is normal?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Where the meter spends most of the time. These are ball park measurements that give you a good starting point to make system adjustments.:)

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
^^^

and "C" weighting. ;)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Op, what receiver do you have? If you have one with Audyssey, do not use the internal avr test tones. It might apply to all auto-cal avr.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Op, what receiver do you have? If you have one with Audyssey, do not use the internal avr test tones. It might apply to all auto-cal avr.
I have a Marantz AV7702. The Audyssey setup is not working correctly with the sub and so I'm having to manually calibrate. How would you suggest doing it? I know it's not calibrating right because it is WAY low on the SPL meter.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
It's quite common for Audyssey to calibrate the sub lower than most folks prefer...this does not mean you should bypass Audyssey calibration completely! Also, keep in mind that most inexpensive SPL meters are way off in the lower octaves, sometimes reading as much as 10db low. If you Google it, you should be able to find a correction table for your SPL meter.

Just run Audyssey and then crank up the sub trim (in the AVR) from 3-8db and see if it sounds better to you. Some folks even go as high as +10db from where Audyssey sets the sub trim, just play around with it. :)

To answer your original question: yes, it's completely normal for the meter to jump around during the cal signal. You got to kind of take an average.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
When I play the receivers test tone through each speaker, the levels on the satellites jump around 1-2db. On the sub pink noise the meter seems to swing at least +/- 5db. Does everyone take an average or do you look at the place where the meter spends most of the time during the pink noise being played?
I assume what I'm seeing is normal?
Yes. Pink noise doesn't stay at a constant level. Use the slow response setting on the meter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts