AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very slowly building my budget home theater system for the past seven years. By slowly I mean that it so far only includes a receiver (2001), front L/R speakers (2002), and HDTV (2003). I have decided that I would like to finally add a subwoofer and center channel speaker to the mix. I'm posting in the sub forum since I'm more concerned with that than the center speaker. So here is what I have so far:

A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-2802

Fully discrete, equal power for six amplifier channels. 90W per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05% THD)

Supports subwoofer cross-over switching with a choice of 3 cross-over frequencies: 80, 100, and 120.

See tiny url . com / 39ee74 for product sheet and manual.

Front Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary Bookshelf Speakers

100W 8ohms 40Hz to 20kHz 1in Tweeter 5.12in Woofer

See tiny url . com / 27kaa2 for tech details according to Amazon.

So that's what I got and I'd like to get comparable or better quality subwoofer and center channel speaker. I bought the speakers on sale from Amazon back in 2002, expecting to eventually replace them so I'd like to aim above those in quality for the sub and center. I'm thinking under $200 for the sub and around $100 for the center, but of course on your advice if it's really really worth it to pay more for something in particular I will do it. My home theater space isn't that big, just 14.5' by 12.7' with equipment centered on the 14' wall with couch and lazy boy centered on the opposite wall. This gives about a 6-7' viewing/listening distance. I also have an upstairs neighbor. :) I obviously don't need anything crazy powerful, I just want it to sound good. I'm definitely want quality over quantity. And I'd rather the new stuff not drown out my old fronts. I want nice balanced sound.

My system is used to for movies, music (rock/alternative/punk for the most part) and console gaming. My main impetus for buying these now is an upcoming RockBand party I will be hosting at my place in a couple weeks.

Let me know if more details are needed to help my recommendation.

P.S. You obviously need to remove the spaces from the tiny url links above. Since this is my first post, it won't let me post urls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts