AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Linn Katan bookshelf speakers and Linn subs are pretty expensive so I was wondering if something like a HSU STF-1 would work well in a small room for music. I'm fine with the fact that a cheap sub will only play down to ~35Hz and I don't typically listen at very loud levels. But if cheap subs also come at the expense of distortion or are otherwise somehow "unmusical" I'll need to raise my budget a little.

Has anybody here had a positive experience with using a sub that was considerably cheaper than your main speakers?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Just because something is "cheap" in price doesn't mean it is of poor quality anymore than something that is high in price is of good quality.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, didn't mean to equate price with quality. So my question should be "would entry-level subs from HSU, eD, Outlaw, etc be able to "keep up"--musically speaking--with ostensibly higher quality main speakers, at least in a small room?"

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
HSU STF-1 should work fine.

At around $250 (including shipping), individuals in this forum like the Premier Acoustics PA-120 and BIC F12; at around $360, the HSU STF-2 and eD A2-300.

·
Registered
750 Posts
How much did you spend on your speakers?

Why do wish to go 'inexpensive' on the sub?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My speakers were $700 used. If I go for a cheaper sub I could go ahead and get it without raising any eyebrows (namely, my wife's).

I read that Rhythmik makes a good sub at around $700. This is a good example of a sealed sub that's maybe more musical?

Thanks for all of the input so far.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
STF-1 is a very musical sub. It will do great with music in a small room.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Abe

The Rhythmic is a good sub for that price.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If your budget is $700, the Rythmik is an excellent choice. That said, if you only have $300 to spend, the STF-1 is a great sub and very musical. Don't let the spec fool you as it's rated to 32Hz at +/- 2db (not 3 or 6). The STF-1 is capable of over 100db at 31.5Hz and has usable output down to around 25Hz. Another sub that's very musical around the $300 price range is the Aperion 8A

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to bump my old thread but for the benefit of anybody who might google their way to my original question:

I tried out the HSU STF-1 and the Rythmik F12. The Hsu is a great sub for the money but I felt like the Rythmik really fit into my system better. Noticeably tighter bass though I would have probably been happy with the STF-1 if I had never heard the larger sub.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Rythmic F12 is a realy good woofer, good choise realy. You can also look at SVS SB-12plus. Realy a sealed sub is the safest way to go when it comes to music. If your handy and can streach your budget, then the dual 13av2 kit from eD is a bargain.. and its the best subwoofer i ever heard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts