AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new sub and have got it pretty well narrowed down. Trying to decide between the outlaw LFM 1 Plus and the Epik Legend. S I'm open to and have looked at ED, Hsu, SVS offerings, but am finding the current deal on the Outlaw and the price of the legend to be perceived better deals at this point than anything currently offered by the other companies. I would be open to used or B stock, but obviously hard to find.

Price range is max 600 shipped, pretty firm.

I'll be mating this with a modest 5.1 system, Polk Monitor series speakers (50 fronts, 30 rears, cs1 center), an older Sony DB830 receiver (5.1 100w 20-20k at 0.09% THD) and replacing an AR S112PS 12", 120w ported sub. The sub lacks definition for music and doesnt provide the low end response I would like.

I rent so there is potential for annual moves so I'm not really buying for a certain room size, though my current room is quite large - 4500 cubic feet. I dont expect to achieve reference levels or to pressurize this room.

60% HT/video games 40% music. Cosmetics aren't a big factor, output probably slightly edging out sound quality in desires. I do not think a single sealed driver will produce the output I want, but the sealed dual drivers was intriguing, otherwise leaning towards a ported design. I was ideally looking for a front firing sub just in case a down firing sub would possibly increase vibrations felt on the apartment below, myth or not, but am finding better options with the downfiring subs in this range. The legend is appealing that the dual opposed drivers do cancel each others vibrations, I do worry about the overall output for HT though and the low end as I do not care to invest in an equalizer at this point (No audessy or such on current receiver).

I've listened to my sub, and th[/i]e paradigm PDR, DSP line up. The DSP 3200/3400 were improvements from my current sub, but I felt the low end of the 3200 was lacking given the cost to upgrade (rated at 22hz din).

Would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
My two cents...

I have both a Hsu STF 1 and an Epik Legend...though they are in different leagues as far as pressurizing my room (3600cf)...listening near field, the Epik is tighter and lends a more authentic end to the bass, especially with music...hope this helps

·
Registered
672 Posts
Seems like most of the ported subs in the 600 dollar range end up in the same neighborhood... 12" driver, ~300w amp, solid down to 20Hz or a little lower. At that price I think it's more a choice of what sub looks the best to you.

Another option is to check out Audiogon and Craigslist. Once in a while you find some good local deals there.

If you decide on the Outlaw and you can afford to wait, Outlaw has been putting their subs on sale pretty regularly...usually about twice a year. The savings are pretty substantial, usually about 15% AND free shipping.

I picked up an LFM-1 Plus on sale and I've been really happy with it. It was a steal at ~$475 shipped!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed126
Would you say it would be accurate to expect greater output from the outlaw than the legend?
This would be my guess, especially around the Outlaw's tuning point. Around midbass and upper bass the Legend might have an advantage, but I can't believe that the Legend would be competitive below 35 hz. Again, this is just guessing from their designs though, I would like to see them compared, I think they would both have interesting strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my LFM 1 Plus now for a couple months love it!. I have an open floor plan, and like you, have to fill around 4500 cu. ft. It more than does it's job at filling my area and couldn't be happier. The ported design and large cabinet will definitely have some high ouput over the Legend, especially at lower freq. The Outlaw is quite large, but the fit and finish is excellent!! (currently using it as an end table beside my couch. I bought mine b-stock through outlaw for $450 and it looks liked they shipped me a brand new one. I would defintiely not hesitate to buy again! To fill a larger space I would definitely look at a ported design, plus, Outlaw gives you the added bonus of choosing your tuning (max extension vs max out). I am currently using max extension and it is more than enough to fill my townhome with crisp clean bass!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
I know your budget is $600 but you could get the Lfm-1 ex combo deal for $650 and sell the wireless adapter to recoup the difference. With that size room, that's what I would do. I got the plus but my room is only 1800cft. 4500cft is asking a lot from a sub but the ex could probably do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts