AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
As far as I know there are no measurements of the A5-350, so no one really knows how it compares to the Hsu. It doesn't have the features of the Hsu but that doesn't mean it won't match the Hsu's output. There was one user in the Hsu forums whose A5-350 broke and replaced it with a VTF15h, and considered it a upgrade, you should talk to him.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Not sure why you don't choose the "much smarter" option...

A7S-450 with the OUTBOARD Behringer EP2000

Until eD figures out how to get the LT/1300 "back in stock"(or whatever that problem is), the ONLY subwooofers to bother with are the ones where you can get the NO COST Behringer EP2000.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20793776

Not sure why you don't choose the "much smarter" option...

A7S-450 with the OUTBOARD Behringer EP2000

Until eD figures out how to get the LT/1300 "back in stock"(or whatever that problem is), the ONLY subwooofers to bother with are the ones where you can get the NO COST Behringer EP2000.

what is a Behringer EP2000 and what does it do?

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/20794160

what is a Behringer EP2000 and what does it do?

where can u buy it at NO COST?

It' is an external amplifier...meaning right now the A7S-450 is being sold as a passive sub.

No cost means it's being included in the $850.00 price of the sub, where the EP2000 amp alone costs around $400.00 retail.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/20794166

It' is an external amplifier...meaning right now the A7S-450 is being sold as a passive sub.

No cost means it's being included in the $850.00 price of the sub, where the EP2000 amp alone costs around $400.00 retail.

passive sub?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
passive means no built in amp. Can be externally powered.

So they changed from the Dayton Sa1000 to the Ep2K?

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/20794180

passive sub?

A passive sub means the sub box itself does NOT have an amplifier built into it. The amplifier is external like the Behringer EP2000. make sense?

an "active" sub means it has the amplifier built right into the box

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/20794188

A passive sub means the sub box itself does NOT have an amplifier built into it. The amplifier is external like the Behringer EP2000. make sense?

an "active" sub means it has the amplifier built right into the box

but the performance is the same right/

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/20794166

I think you are overstating the case for the value of the external amp choices that are available with the A7S-450. Since the price of the A7S-450 typically includes the 1300 watt LT1300, you would have to subtract the value of that amp and the convenience factor of a built-in amp from the price of the sub and then add in the value of the Behringer or Dayton amps.

On the ED website, the LT1300 amp sells for $450.

So, you could say that Ed has removed $450 worth of LT1300 and is substituting a $400 Behringer or Dayton.

The Behringer is certainly not "no cost".

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/0

It doesn't cost $400. Also setting up a pro amp can sometimes be difficult as you have to match voltage levels as said before the convenience factor of a plate amp.

Domingos,

You have been asking this question for two weeks now let's make a decision. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get. If you want to keep it simple go with the vtf-15h. If you feel like doing some tweaking and possibly adding an external equalizer down the road...go with the passive ED. The Behringer gives you an extra 150 watts at 4 ohms bridged but the Dayton has more user options I believe. I would go with the Dayton because it actually costs much more and is not early as heavy and loud.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Pro amps are a problem in that they are way too loud in stock form. The fan will require modifications to be acceptable, so figure that into the deal. Also, the pro amp doesn't come with the typical sub amp user controls, like phase, x-over, etc. This can be worked around, but can still be inconvenient for many users. A dedicated sub amp seems like a better deal for most users, I would wait for the LT1300 myself, to each their own.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/0

Pro amps are a problem in that they are way too loud in stock form. The fan will require modifications to be acceptable, so figure that into the deal. Also, the pro amp doesn't come with the typical sub amp user controls, like phase, x-over, etc. This can be worked around, but can still be inconvenient for many users. A dedicated sub amp seems like a better deal for most users, I would wait for the LT1300 myself, to each their own.

5 minute $8 dollar fix but does void the warranty.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The Behringer(in my opinion) is the better option.

IF, you use your receiver for bass management(which means all that "other stuff" plate amps have...IE crossovers, phase and everything thing else....is pointless anyway)

And...when (this is NOT an if) the amp dies...it is already outboard, ready for a replacement.

I've heard numerous people use the EP2000 in DIY subwoofers and think it is a great match. This idea that it is noisy is no big deal. A computer fan is louder than it is.

And what shortsighted crap is that nonsense the "EP2000 doesn't have phase control"...

Since when does an AMP that externally connects to a speaker need a PHASE CONTROL??? The only reason you need phase control on a plate amp is so you don't have to remove the plate amp to get in it to switch + with -. People need to think.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/20794514

Not to mention more potential for hum issues with adding pro gear to the mix.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20794694

IF, you use your receiver for bass management(which means all that "other stuff" plate amps have...IE crossovers, phase and everything thing else....is pointless anyway)

And...when (this is NOT an if) the amp dies...it is already outboard, ready for a replacement.

I've heard numerous people use the EP2000 in DIY subwoofers and think it is a great match. This idea that it is noisy is no big deal. A computer fan is louder than it is.

And what shortsighted crap is that nonsense the "EP2000 doesn't have phase control"...

Since when does an AMP that externally connects to a speaker need a PHASE CONTROL??? The only reason you need phase control on a plate amp is so you don't have to remove the plate amp to get in it to switch + with -. People need to think.

Pro amps are for DIY enthusiasts, not regular consumers. If you want one, buy one! I think most people would find the fan on the Behringer annoying, not to mention the lack of controls. My two MBMs have variable phase and eq, along with the x-over. Granted i use my pre/pro to set that, but I still find the other controls useful. Sorry you get so upset that others want something different than you, apparently you own stock in Behringer!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/0

What If he Has a strange room and decides to add a 2nd sub somewhere down the line. 0 and 180 are not the only phase settings. Phase can be extremely helpful when trying to set up dual subs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.