AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to a new house that has some pre-existing home theatre work already set up in the family room (20' x 22') - everything is in-ceiling. Not ideal, but I like the clean look. Their sub is a traditional external black box. To match the all hidden look, I've been looking at in wall subs for when we settle and move in. I've tried searching the posts and have read a lot online, but I may be getting information overload as the more I read, the more I convince myself I need.

I started off with the Velodyne SC-600-IW. It gets good reviews but lacks a little on the low end (only down to 35hz or so). There's also concern of the power for the sized room. Theoretically I can get a good price on this sub and its amp (about $700 total)

Enter the Klipsch RW-5802. Goes a little lower in range about the same volume concerns for room size.

I called a local AV store and he was recommending the Totem Tribe 12 which runs about $2600 retail with it's receiver. Goes plenty low and will fill the room size but it significantly more expensive.

I do watch a lot of movies and cable shows, very little network TV. I play video games and listen to classical, rock, and electronic music. For my current home theater I have a Velodyne CT-100 sub.

Any opinions here?...obviously the Totem is a better sub, but is it that much better and louder. Would the Velodyne still deliver full and immersive movie effects (Thundering ramming of the door in LOTR)? Unfortunately, every store I call has no in walls to actually listen to so I'm turning to this forum having read a lot of posts already.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Spare all them options and check out the Internet Direct companies...much much more quality bass for your dollar going this route. If you are willing to spend 2300.00, I would suggest looking at the JTR Captivator 1400. If you want something a little smaller then the PSA 3000i would be a solid sealed option.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
You'd be far better off doing an IB subwoofer, which is essentially an in-wall subwoofer.
In which case you may want to pose this question in the DIY subwoofer section.

1 or more Fi IB318's powered with an inuke 3000DSP would kill anything you could find at a retail store or hifi shop.
http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib318/

I have owned a Velodyne 10" in the past and these 18's murder it. Night and Day difference. It's not even a question...

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Unless you can do something like an infinite baffle sub (which is not likely), you are pretty much doomed. In-wall subs are universally poor performers, there is no getting around that. But with an in-ceiling speakers setup, it probably doesn't matter very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the quick feedback from you both. I'm not certain I could swing a DIY speaker setup with the Mrs. and the other suggestions appear to be traditional external (black box) subs. I'm particularly interested in in-wall (and maybe clarify pre-made) options. I'd rather not spend almost 3000 for a sub setup but would consider spending extra if it was truly a necessary difference in performance/value. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you can do something like an infinite baffle sub (which is not likely), you are pretty much doomed. In-wall subs are universally poor performers, there is no getting around that. But with an in-ceiling speakers setup, it probably doesn't matter very much.
So shadyJ, would the recommendation be to accept fate and get the cheaper option (velodyne)? Would it sound bad? or simply not ideal? Like the overhead surround system is not ideal but does not sound "bad". just trying to use my money wisely and not completely waste it exploring options that I just am not able to actually sit and listen to. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I don't know if it will sound bad, but it isn't likely to sound great for a couple of reason. First, placement is crucial in getting good bass from a sub, and in-walls do not allow freedom of placement for a subwoofer, or at least the sub can not be moved easily to see the response from different positions. Second, anything you put in the wall can not give you deep bass at all, by the nature of that design; you won't be able to fit a beefy driver in there, and any other kind of driver will have a very high f3. The totem might do a bit better by having a passive radiator, but it isn't going to be amazing. Basically there aren't any in-wall subs that have a lot of air displacement, which is key to good bass. If you absolutely can not have a stand-alone subwoofer and are stuck with in-walls, the Totems look as good as any, but that is a lot of money to pay for likely mediocre bass.

One thing you might consider is getting a sub disguised as an endtable maybe, or some other piece of furniture. If so, you might get in contact with Nathan at Funk Audio, he does custom work and may be able to make something for you that looks nice and performs well.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
One thing you might consider is getting a sub disguised as an endtable maybe, or some other piece of furniture.
^^ This!

New house, right? Need to furnish the new house, right? You need endtables!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...end-table-marty-sub-build-8.html#post30512521

Or a coffee table!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-sub-completed-build-w-pics.html#post26388889

Or an entertainment center!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1685882-my-marty-tainment-center.html

Or all of the above!! :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I appreciate the quick feedback from you both. I'm not certain I could swing a DIY speaker setup with the Mrs. and the other suggestions appear to be traditional external (black box) subs. I'm particularly interested in in-wall (and maybe clarify pre-made) options. I'd rather not spend almost 3000 for a sub setup but would consider spending extra if it was truly a necessary difference in performance/value. Thanks again.
Ya know, someone here managed to build a JTR Orbit Shifter LFU into their wall... ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Is the family room open to the rest of the house? What is the ceiling height? Is it slab on grade or a suspended floor over a basement or crawl space? These factors will help determine the requirements for good bass. A larger room (cubic feet) with open doorways and cement floors will require large bass displacement to get good tactile response.

I am guessing that a projector is not in the plans so an acoustically transparent screen that could hide speakers and subs is not an option. As noted above, the best stealth bass, and some would say the best bass period, comes from an infinite baffle setup. This would use a basement, attic, or an adjoining room as the box for the sub. The in-room look is merely a grille panel much like your in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. To explore that option, you should look at the site for the cult of the infinitely baffled: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

The cost of an infinite baffle setup also delivers the highest price/performance ratio by far. For a room that size, 4 ib3 18 inch subs can be purchased for $1016. http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib318/ Add a NU3000dsp amp for less than $300, a modest amount for some plywood, and you are in bass heaven. Nothing else you are considering is anywhere close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply. I think I'll keep it "cheap" and use a traditional sub for now (and tell my wife to deal with it :) )...I'm glad for the advice to not get the others - could have been an expensive dissapointment. Maybe in my spare time I'll look into an IB solution although that may blow out the in-ceiling speakers. Thanks again everybody!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts