AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

We are going to have one 'chosen' spot for our sub. I'm anticipating that I am going to need some good room correction. Can y'all help me understand the difference between how these options work:

1: A miniDSP for the subwoofer
2: Audessey
3: Martin Logan and Paradigm's perfect bass kit
4: Velodyne's EQ models

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
Audyssey and PBK are automated room EQ software. The former is built into receivers; the latter is a stand-alone product. Each comes with its own dedicated microphone for measurements. Run the software and you're done.

miniDSP is manual* EQ software, built into a stand-alone product. It requires...
- an external microphone (UMIK-1) + free REW software; or
- an OmniMic v2 (mic + software),
...to let you see your in-room FR. Run your test tones, check the FR and make adjustments as required.

(*You can adjust individual parameters manually, or you can use REW or OmniMic to generate the necessary bi-quad parameters and then load them into the miniDSP.)

IMO:
- Start with a receiver that has Audyssey (MultEQ XT32 is the best, followed by MultEQ XT and "regular" MultEQ).
- Consider adding a mic + REW (or OmniMic) to find out whether you're getting a good overall FR at the main listening position:
i) If you are, you don't need to go any further.
ii) If you aren't, you may want to acquire additional EQ-ing capabilities.

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
We are going to have one 'chosen' spot for our sub.
Wrong. The sub will choose it's own spot...not you. ;)

That is, if you want to get the most from your new subwoofer...I would assume you do from your OP.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wrong. The sub will choose it's own spot...not you. ;)

That is, if you want to get the most from your new subwoofer...I would assume you do from your OP.
AlanP is correct. The room correction may or may not help much at all if you have your sub in a bad spot. If you have cancellation waves, no room correction will help you there and your only choice is find another location.
But saying that, you will still be better than no sub at all. You just may be (More than likely will be) missing some bass at certain Frequencies. Even doing a sub crawl, room acoustic can sometimes be very challenging. Which is why people favor 2 subs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I get an 'amen' to the first answer, which is to get an AVR with MultEQ XT32, and test the results? Is there any reason to believe that I will get better results than XT32 with perfect bass kit or Velodyne's eq? I would need to know that before buying a sub, since those are brand specific. Is there any reason to believe that Anthem's ARC would deal with the sub better than XT32?

Paradigm's description of perfect bass kit is 'put the sub where you want it, and pbk will make it sound right'.

I can appreciate the last 2 comments, and I fully understand. My wife and I have a great relationship. I want to put the sub wherever it sounds best. She doesn't want a sub in the living room at all. We compromised, and agreed that we will have a sub in a single designated location. I'm ok with it, and so is she.

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Paradigm's description of perfect bass kit is 'put the sub where you want it, and pbk will make it sound right'.
Just marketing hyperbole, nothing else. There is no way they can say the sub will "sound right" no matter where it is located...just not possible.

We compromised, and agreed that we will have a sub in a single designated location. I'm ok with it, and so is she.
Just as long as you realize that the sub's output may be fine with your planned location, but there is also just as much chance that it will be completely neutered. ;)

You should get a sub from a manufacturer that has a liberal return policy. :D

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You may or may not need a subwoofer EQ. If you're lucky perhaps the best place for the subwoofer offers flat response.
There's also the Antimode 8033 Cinema/S-II/Dual core, and SVS EQ1, and Velodyne SMS-1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may or may not need a subwoofer EQ. If you're lucky perhaps the best place for the subwoofer offers flat response.
There's also the Antimode 8033 Cinema/S-II/Dual core, and SVS EQ1, and Velodyne SMS-1
Thanks for the suggestions. It's interesting. One of those is just XT. Another one only has 8 bands. I don't see anything that would suggest they would be better than xt32.

I like the idea of a good return policy.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Those stand alone units are good if you already have a AVR/AV pre that has no room EQ, and you have no intention of changing it, but want a subwoofer EQ. If you're looking for a complete AVR with sub built in, checkout Anthem MRX series and the top of the line audyssey xt32 with sub EQ HT.

I use a antimode 8033 Cinema it has 28 filters. Of course it doesn't do phase matching, however I am not changing my AV pre. I would like to be able to perform the room EQ timing as I know distance is not always right way.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

·
Registered
553 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts