AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Monitor Audio Gold Ref series speakers, 60 (Floor standing), 10 (Bookshelf), centre and FB212 sub. Could anybody recommended what crossover frequency I should use.

My sub manual says that for small bookshelf speakers I should set it to 60-90Hz and large bookshelf to 50-80hz. I was therefore thinking of setting it to 60 or 70Hz

Thanks

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I haven't listened to the Monitor Audios, but here are a few thoughts. THX specifies 80 Hz. I think this is a compromisse value that says, much above that and the sound id too easy to image to the sub, much below it and small speakers won't do.

I'm thinking the 60s are pretty full-range (can go 50 Hz or lower), so I would try two things: 1) about a 60 Hz X-over and set everything to small and 2) about an 80 to 100 Hz x-over, set the mains to large, and everything else to small. See what you like.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
In HT, the LFE crossover point is set automatically (fixed, never variable) in the bass management feature inside the prepro.
Huh? Most prepros let you change the XO frequency globally. The better ones let you change it individually for each pair of speakers.

Best advice - try freqs between 40 and 80 (or so) and see what sounds best. It depends on your room as much as your gear so nobody can really tell you what will work best.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What are the effects on "strain" on the amps from going from say a 80 to 60 HZ setting.

When I listen to music I find my Monitor 7 Rotel RSX 1055 stetup "sounds" better at 60 HZ. When I watch movies I leave it at 80 becuase A that is the way mvoies are mixed (standard right) and B I find that for my room I am already watching at 2/3 on the volume knob and don't want to push my gear too hard.

How much differnce in wattage is a 20 HZ in the crossover likley to make?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.