AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I posted a similar thread in the subwoofer forum, I wasn't sure where the best place was, apologies if I violated forum etiquette.  I could use some help with design of some sub boxes I'm having built.  The drivers are Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18", there are 3 per box.  My questions are:  Should they be separated, essentially each having their own airspace?  What are the advantages of doing this?  

Also, the current plan is for 24"w x 30 x 64 boxes.  I know nothing of port tuning, or airspace requirements, or if having them separated affects this.  Opinions?  Would really appreciate some guidance!

·
Registered
19 Posts

That box size seems good, about 8.9 cu. ft per driver. I don't see any advantages with separating the air chambers besides it acting as bracing for the box. I'm not sure if you're familiar with a program called winISD but that will help you decide what size ports and how long they should be since you've already made up the dimensions and driver selection. I would guess like 2 4 inch aero ports to avoid port noise, and they're gonna be pretty long. 

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Appreciate the reply.  In the other thread, someone said that it didn't make sense to have 3 18's in one box, so I assumed that separating the chambers was the way to go.  I will definitely check out that program - my plan was/is basically to have as much bass as possible behind my seating.  I'm basically doing a LEDE set up, so based on my understanding, it made sense to put the bass in the back, and the absorbers in the front.  That way I'll get the desirable high/mid reflections, while avoiding the bass reflections.  Again, appreciate the input, the more the better.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Yes i'm glad I could help. I can't think of any sonic disadvantage with the 3 woofer setup as long as they're facing the same direction, or at least be in phase. And as for the bass in the back, you might need to put the subwoofers in the rear corners depending on your room situation. Seems like a solid plan to me with what you have so far. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts