Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am on the fence for a sub:

VTF-2 MK 3 HSU

VTF-1 HSU

PB10-NSD SVS

A2-300 Elemental Design

Price is a factor for me obviously and I have the wife factor on this price. I know she will let me get the eD especially for the price and I can probably push her into the SVS and VTF-1 price range hard pressed on the Top choice up there. What do you guys think is the eD the best bang for the buck or will I get more out of the SVS or HSU for a little more money. Lokking for tight base both for movies and music but more for movies. my JBL I have now is very boomy, I like the boom and want to feel it just want nice boom not all muddy.

My room is very open have one of those open floor plans but for some odd reason I get excellent base response where my crappy JBL is now see link below for my set up, your guess is as good as mine how I can feel base in my main seat with sub positioned where it is.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=4TA23

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, a bunch of top notch experts and tons of peoeple with an opinion and no one will throw out what they feel between eD, SVS or HSU? No one has any info or thoughts at all, very dissappointed...

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ta23 /forum/post/16959117

wow, a bunch of top notch experts and tons of peoeple with an opinion and no one will throw out what they feel between eD, SVS or HSU? No one has any info or thoughts at all, very dissappointed...

I'm not an expert, but it is probable that one of the reasons you have yet to receive attention is that your research is not near complete in your presentation. For one, how much are you willing to spend - basic/delivered?

For another, the link you've provided isn't working (for me for example.)

Having said that, your bump may just catch more attention shortly.

Good luck.

duwdu

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwdu /forum/post/16959210

I'm not an expert, but it is probable that one of the reasons you have yet to receive attention is that your research is not near complete in your presentation. For one, how much are you willing to spend - basic/delivered?

For another, the link you've provided isn't working (for me for example.)

Having said that, your bump may just catch more attention shortly.

Good luck.

duwdu

I hope so and you are right the link does not work, worked yesterday, hmmm here I will try again.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=4TA23

Let me know if link is not working, as for my price range low price of $350 to about $549 is what those subs are going for, that would be my price range sorry about that and the $549 really is just out of my budget especially when you add shipping but not out of the question, just a wife factor thing just need to whine a bunch pleeeaaassseeeee honey...lol

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I recommend buying an Outlaw B-stock sub. I picked up a second Outlaw LFM-1EX for $574 delivered, full warranty and it looks great. The LFM-1EX will equal or exceed the performance of any sub on your list, and it looks better to boot! It's a downfiring 12 inch sub with a classy plexiglass insert on top, sure to please the wife. The slightly smaller LFM-1plus sub, still a 12 incher but in a smaller cabinet, is available in B-stock for $474 delivered, a great deal! www.outlawaudio.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/16959394

I recommend buying an Outlaw B-stock sub. I picked up a second Outlaw LFM-1EX for $574 delivered, full warranty and it looks great. The LFM-1EX will equal or exceed the performance of any sub on your list, and it looks better to boot! It's a downfiring 12 inch sub with a classy plexiglass insert on top, sure to please the wife. The slightly smaller LFM-1plus sub, still a 12 incher but in a smaller cabinet, is available in B-stock for $474 delivered, a great deal! www.outlawaudio.com

Did not know about outlaw another good choice, bad part is that LFM-1EX has gone up to $649.00 and if there is shipping on top of that
but the LFM-1plus is an option and looks good as well. thank you for another option to consider as I have about a week or two before I need to make a decision as that is when a small bonous check arrives, yeah new sub...lol.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ta23 /forum/post/16959458

Did not know about outlaw another good choice, bad part is that LFM-1EX has gone up to $649.00 and if there is shipping on top of that
but the LFM-1plus is an option and looks good as well. thank you for another option to consider as I have about a week or two before I need to make a decision as that is when a small bonous check arrives, yeah new sub...lol.

Go to the website, click on "Shop", then click on "B-Stock". The subs are discounted and shipping is free! These B-stock subs are fully warranteed, and mine looked like brand new. I don't think you'll find a better bargain for the money, seriously!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Last year I was in the same boat, looking at my options in the upper end of your price range. I ended up buying an Outlaw LFM1 Plus. The Outlaws are designed by Dr Hsu fyi and I found that you get a little more bang for your buck in the amp department over the Hsus.

The $649 you quoted for the EX is the NEW price. floridapoolboy gave you the price for a B STOCK which he purchased to pair up with his other EX. I agree with him, especially since you are price constrained, have the WAF to deal with and he's offered a solution that will probably outperform those on your list.

If I had it to do it over again, I'd take a harder look at a B-stock EX over my LFM1+ just for the extra kick...and that's not to say that I am not satisfeid with the Plus. In my room, from my listening position, I'm loving it.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Just to put it into perspective, since you are getting a lot of recommendations for the Outlaw LFM-1EX, here is a comparative test.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...ubwoofers.html

Please note there are two pages for each sub. One page for descriptions and the second page for listening impressions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann /forum/post/16959578

Last year I was in the same boat, looking at my options in the upper end of your price range. I ended up buying an Outlaw LFM1 Plus. The Outlaws are designed by Dr Hsu fyi and I found that you get a little more bang for your buck in the amp department over the Hsus.

The $649 you quoted for the EX is the NEW price. floridapoolboy gave you the price for a B STOCK which he purchased to pair up with his other EX. I agree with him, especially since you are price constrained, have the WAF to deal with and he's offered a solution that will probably outperform those on your list.

If I had it to do it over again, I'd take a harder look at a B-stock EX over my LFM1+ just for the extra kick...and that's not to say that I am not satisfeid with the Plus. In my room, from my listening position, I'm loving it.

Yeah I figured that out after rereading his thread, i was like oh wait what is B-Stock then relooked at there page, duh me. I hear you, I doubt for the money you will get as much bang for the buck, how does the sub sound I want nice tight base with good boom but not muddy boom, huge movie freak and some music.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you can swing it (it's at the top of your budget) I would seriously consider the SVS PB-12NSD. This sub has some serious performance for the money. Another option for that type of room might be going with dual subs like the PA-120 x2 for around $460. These subs are very good for HT but not so good for music. Getting something 'great' for music in your price range is a bit more difficult I'd say. Personally I would just get the PB-12NSD and know I got the best sub made for that price....there are plenty of graphs to back up it's performance levels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16960057

If you can swing it (it's at the top of your budget) I would seriously consider the SVS PB-12NSD. This sub has some serious performance for the money. Another option for that type of room might be going with dual subs like the PA-120 x2 for around $460. These subs are very good for HT but not so good for music. Getting something 'great' for music in your price range is a bit more difficult I'd say. Personally I would just get the PB-12NSD and know I got the best sub made for that price....there are plenty of graphs to back up it's performance levels.

I had not thought about that, does push the budget but then I get a 12" and more power. On my list to think about.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ta23 /forum/post/16959759

Yeah I figured that out after rereading his thread, i was like oh wait what is B-Stock then relooked at there page, duh me. I hear you, I doubt for the money you will get as much bang for the buck, how does the sub sound I want nice tight base with good boom but not muddy boom, huge movie freak and some music.

The EX is 12 inch btw. I really enjoy my LFM1+ for both HT and Music. i listen to a lot of jazz in addition to the stuff I get regularly from Netflix.

Both the EX and Plus are "tuneable" for either maximum output or maximum extension. I prefer the max output mode as it gives me the nice "tight" sound I prefer yet I still get plenty of deep rumbles for the movies. I should add that I am also running an anti mode 8033 and its set for 15 to 25hz "lift".

The B stock deal is tough to beat for the bucks.

There are LOTS of choices on the market, and LOTS of opinions on the forum. I hope you are having fun hunting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The hunt is defienetly fun and a little nerve racking but for the price the Outlaw seems like a great deal and I like the idea of the svs PB-12 as well, any thoughts on down firing vs. front firing between these two?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts