AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My avr does not have anything like Audyssey. All I can do is set the crossover, each speaker's gain, and each speaker's distance (in whole feet, no decimals).

Right now I have entered the measured distance to the sub. But I've read that this may be inaccurate because it does not account for the milliseconds that the sub's amp and DSP needs to process the signal. I have no idea how long it takes.

Is there an approximate number of feet that I should add or subtract from my measured distance to the sub to account for this?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
There is no set number for you to change the distance. However, if you have an SPL meter (or an SPL app on your phone) you can find a test tone from the inter-webs that is centered on your crossover (say, 80hz). Play that tone through your center+sub (Dolby PLII), then change the sub distance in 1' increments until you get the highest SPL. This will get your CC+subs in-phase and you can repeat the process with the mains+sub as well. You may have to compromise either the fronts or CC depending on how out of phase each is with the sub.

That's as close as you can get without going all out with REW. ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan P - I read where your Audyssey added like 5.5 feet, so I thought someone would tell me to add 6 feet for an ICEpower amp.

It is just as well no one is saying that. I re-read my AVR manual about setting SB Distance. I was wrong - "SB" does not stand for subwoofer. It stands for Surround Back. My AVR does not have a subwoofer distance setting.

I am beginning to think that I would be better off spending $400 at Amazon on buying a Yamaha RX-V679. It has Audyssey, two subs out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I find it exceedingly strange that your AVR doesn't do sub distance. What AVR is this?

Having said that, a new Audyssey equipped AVR would not be a bad thing, that's for sure. ;)

Audyssey messed up the difference in distance between my two pairs of subs....I think, I just stumbled across it last night trying some different tweaks and I still need to do more investigating.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sony STR-DG720, from 2008.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am beginning to think that I would be better off spending $400 at Amazon on buying a Yamaha RX-V679. It has Audyssey, two subs out.
Well, not really...Yamaha has YPAO which IMO is behind Audyssey and ARC (Anthem). A Denon X2200W would get you Audyssey MultEQ XT which should give you good results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts