AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budget of $200, I was looking at the Polk psw505, dayton sub-1200 and the bic f12 to match with my Andrew jones 5.0 setup (some people recommended not buying the matching pioneer sub with the setup). Polk and bic have a ton of great reviews on amazon but I keep seeing great reviews for the dayton on most forums.

I do a 50/50 of music and movies right now, not looking to move the earth with bass but some people claimed the aj setup might not even 'need' a sub with certain music but so far with my setup I definitely notice the lack of bass. Might have to play with the receivers settings a bit tho as I'm new to this.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It doesn't matter if you have $30,000 speakers, they all will benefit from a sub or 4. I have listend to the AJ speakers and you defiantly need a sub if you want the most out of those speakers. Otherwise they will be straining hard to make any kind of bass.
$200 isnt much of a budget, but what is more important is your room size. If you put a tiny under powered sub in a open family room then it will be hard to even tell if you have a sub.
Have you looked at the stickies at the top? There is a thread for the best sub under $300. You might can find some good info in there. But I remember reading a lot of people liking the Dayton subs for low end subs.
You could also look at DIY! You would get a lot more bang for your buck.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started reading the under 300 thread but its overwhelming for me, I know nothing of matching timbres and such...basically reading that thread backwards I just see what people say are good and bad and don't know how it'll mesh with my pioneer setup...if that's even an issue since I'm only dealing with a sub and not mix and matching speakers.

My room is roughly 12' wide, 9' tall and my seating area is about 15' ish deep but open in the back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My brother just picked up a set of the Andrew Jones speakers w/towers. He is getting my old BIC PL-200 (decent sub for the $280 price point). He should be getting his receiver today. I can let you know how that works out after we set it up this weekend. I don't expect anything less that it working just fine with that setup though. Be careful here, people always start out looking at a low price then they end up later posting "Was looking at the Dayton sub but instead I went with dual Seaton subs! How can I convince my wife not to divorce me while not returning anything?"

·
Registered
233 Posts
A lot of people here say you can't get decent bass out of a $200 sub, but i beg to differ. I have a 4000 ft3 theater, and bought dual Klipsch Sub12s, for a total of $400 (they go on sale at Amazon fairly often). (I actually got them less than that because of a shipping error on their part.) Anyways, i am flat down to 28 hz at >100 db, as measured with REW and a UMik1. They make one of my doors vibrate like crazy with a 20 hz sine wave. Do i want to upgrade at some point, absolutely. But for the price i paid, i am quite happy. I also have a Dayton Sub1200 in my living room, and it does great. It looks good, was packaged well, and does the job (i haven't measured its response).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm hoping I won't fall into that constant upgrade downward spiral lol, I've been coping with a samsung htib for about 11 years...I knew it was bad but for the price I dealt with it but it dulled the music/movie experience for me and I didn't notice it until I listened to a friends setup...now I just started piecing my home theater together, I grabbed the aj floor standing/book shelf and center combo with a yamaha rxv675 and now I just want to add a modest subwoofer without going crazy while keeping my whole setup at or under my 1k goal.

I don't like to really turn my setup up much but I want it to handle music and movies crisp and clear and these speakers definitely leave a hole in the low end compared to my old samsung unit with an 8in sub. I'm slowly trying to get a grasp on the setup of the speakers and subs, just looking for the ideal way to spend 200 here and not go ah I should've went xyz for the same price.

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
2StepsAhead said:
I'm hoping I won't fall into that constant upgrade downward spiral lol ..
Just close your eyes and let go. It's not so bad... :)

I don't like to really turn my setup up much but I want it to handle music and movies crisp and clear ... just looking for the ideal way to spend 200 here and not go ah I should've went xyz for the same price.
You might not wish you'd bought something else for the same price, but you may end up wishing you'd spent a bit more and bought something better. ;)

That said, a budget's a budget and you do what you can with what you have.

*cough*

Having said that, for a little bit more ($270, shipped, at Amazon.com) you might find the NXG NX-BAS-500 to be an even better choice. Here's a good review of that sub.

Regardless of what you end up getting, I hope you enjoy it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a budget of $200, I was looking at the Polk psw505, dayton sub-1200 and the bic f12 to match with my Andrew jones 5.0 setup (some people recommended not buying the matching pioneer sub with the setup). Polk and bic have a ton of great reviews on amazon but I keep seeing great reviews for the dayton on most forums.

I do a 50/50 of music and movies right now, not looking to move the earth with bass but some people claimed the aj setup might not even 'need' a sub with certain music but so far with my setup I definitely notice the lack of bass. Might have to play with the receivers settings a bit tho as I'm new to this.
Where are you located? I have a pair of Klipsch RW-12d's that I would be willing to let go for $200 each.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Personally I have 2 505's in my 12x10x8 room placed opposing midwall and get flat response down to 25Hz @102dB, and am obviously very happy with them. Just one would probably be enough, but I wanted to get a bit more gain leeway and not stress the amps too hard, along with getting excellent coverage. It also didn't hurt that I applied two separate discounts on each through newegg and got both of them for $340 shipped.

So for only $170 each, I really couldn't say no, and If you can get a 505 for $200 or below, it's a damn good sub in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts