AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got two SA70 amps on the cheap http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-784&FTR=sa70

[email protected] [email protected] -

What do you guys recommend - a single DVC 4 ohm (can only find mobile audio with this?)

Or two 8" 4ohm subs?

Plan to use one or both to add to the 15" Dayton Reference HO already in theater (living) room. Or one for music in another room.

Which sub(s) do you recommend, and do you think I should go with two 8" or a single 10/12DVC

Not looking for a high end sub here - got the amps relatively cheap and would like to not spend more than $100ish on the driver(s)

OR - should I just take apart some old drivers and use these for bass shakers? Sell the amps?

Thanks! I know that's a tall order!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1418134/sub-for-dayton-sa70#post_22179549

Something like the Dayton dcs450 or dcs385 would make the most out of 70 watts. Both trade xmax for higher efficiency, which is perfect for a low power amp.

Wow - those are very efficient.

So - what about a smaller version of those? Less efficient by 1-2db but will likely be driven closer to limits - does that have an effect on the end output? Or the larger one will output the same with the ability to do more?

Two 8" or one 15/18"?

The 4ohm models are like twice the price of the 8 - lame. Also - why are the 4ohm drivers rated at such higher power than their relative 8ohm models?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The 8 ohm drivers you're looking at are regular woofers, the 4ohm versions are specifically subwoofer drivers. Your assumptions are correct about the larger drivers being able to do more with less, while being capable of doing more. The dcs385 in a sealed box is probably your best bet. I can model something for you in a bit.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1418134/sub-for-dayton-sa70#post_22179569

The 8 ohm drivers you're looking at are regular woofers, the 4ohm versions are specifically subwoofer drivers. Your assumptions are correct about the larger drivers being able to do more with less, while being capable of doing more. The dcs385 in a sealed box is probably your best bet. I can model something for you in a bit.

That would be super helpful -

One would go for theater - sealed/ported? preferably not huge.

One would go for music - so sealed - any size

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sounds like you have quite a bit going on! How big is the room these are going in? I'm guessing it isnt huge. The sealed DCS 385 will be outstanding for a music system in any sized room, and in a smaller HT room it will also be great. If your HT room is huge it might not be the best for ULF, but still would play deeper then your current sealed HO (that sub is not the greatest in a small sealed box for HT). You will need to make a larger box, like 4ft3 sealed for the DCS 385 (or larger if you could manage). Here is the 4ft3 385 (blue) vs your 2ft3 HO (orange). The SPL of the 385 with 70 watts is equal to the HO with 170 watts. As you can see, it has a 10+hz lower -3db point, and is a lot stronger in the upper region as well

As far as porting the HO goes, the problem with a small box is, the port has to be really long to tune low, and if output is high you need a larger diameter, which means an even longer port. So, depending on how much power you have, you could do a really simple 4ft3 box with a 4"x17" port, which would tune you right around 20hz, and as long as you're not using more then 250 watts port air velocity wont be bad (not sure if you're using a SA70 for this sub also).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-352

With 70 watts the HO wont be very loud, this graph shows 250 watts, -6db from this graph for what you would get with 70 watts. The sealed 385 with 70 watts has 3-4 db more output above 40hz then the ported HO with 70 watts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts