AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking for my first subwoofer (barring the AL ATP3 sub, which doesn't count
). The sub needs to run at 220 volts. My budget is around 700-800$ including shipping in US, but can go up to about max 1000$ for a really good sub.

Monster sized subs are ruled out. It shouldn't be a huge cube. I would say 2 dimensions should be around 20 and one can go up to 24.

I have small kids, so I would prefer if I can get a down firing sub, but it cant be at the cost of sound quality.

Looks are not that important, but it shouldn't look so ugly that my wife throws the sub and me out of the house
. Anyway, before making the purchase, I would have to show the pics to her. Dual subs are also ruled out.

I would be purchasing the sub some time early to mid September, but I wont have more than about a weeks time between the ordering and delivery.

Listening area

The main listening area is 19.5 x 18.5 x 10.5

3787 cubic feet. The system is kept along the 18.5 ft wall. The listening positions is about 12 ft.

But the Dining and open kitchen is attached to it, and the total area is 31.5 ft x 18.5 x 10.5 = 6118 cubic feet

So I guess I should consider the room to be 6118 cubic feet for subwoofer purchase purpose, right? Let me know if a rough diagram of the room will help in suggesting a sub and I will post it.

What specs at a minimum I should be looking for in a sub.

Usage

50% music and 50% movies

I mainly listen to classic rock, blues, heavy metal, jazz, classical music etc. Watch all sorts of movies from classics to action, scifi etc. I usually don't play things at very high volume, but there are times when I do, so some headroom would be good. I would like a musical sub, but movies are important too.

Current setup

Yamaha RX-V663 AVR, marantz cd6000 OSE cd player, B&W 602 S2 for mains, LCR 600S3 center channel, B&W rock solid for surrounds, HTPC with M-Audio revolution 7.1 sound card.

Possible candidates:

HSU VTF-3 MK3

SVS PB12 NSD - all cylinders are out, low WAF.

Rythmik D15 SE - my wife okayed a higher budget for this one due to its looks! go figure . I have heard only good things about this sub in various reviews, its awesome for music, but how good is it for movies.

Rythmik F12 and F15

Epik Sentinel

ED A5-350

I know all these are great subs, but which ones are good for the room size. Also, which is the first among equals for me? Any other good options that I am missing here.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors /forum/post/16981343

Hi Guys,

I am looking for my first subwoofer (barring the AL ATP3 sub, which doesn't count
). The sub needs to run at 220 volts. My budget is around 700-800$ including shipping in US, but can go up to about max 1000$ for a really good sub.

Monster sized subs are ruled out. It shouldn't be a huge cube. I would say 2 dimensions should be around 20 and one can go up to 24.

I have small kids, so I would prefer if I can get a down firing sub, but it cant be at the cost of sound quality.

Looks are not that important, but it shouldn't look so ugly that my wife throws the sub and me out of the house
. Anyway, before making the purchase, I would have to show the pics to her. Dual subs are also ruled out.

I would be purchasing the sub some time early to mid September, but I wont have more than about a weeks time between the ordering and delivery.

Listening area

The main listening area is 19.5 x 18.5 x 10.5

3787 cubic feet. The system is kept along the 18.5 ft wall. The listening positions is about 12 ft.

But the Dining and open kitchen is attached to it, and the total area is 31.5 ft x 18.5 x 10.5 = 6118 cubic feet

So I guess I should consider the room to be 6118 cubic feet for subwoofer purchase purpose, right? Let me know if a rough diagram of the room will help in suggesting a sub and I will post it.

What specs at a minimum I should be looking for in a sub.

Usage

50% music and 50% movies

I mainly listen to classic rock, blues, heavy metal, jazz, classical music etc. Watch all sorts of movies from classics to action, scifi etc. I usually don't play things at very high volume, but there are times when I doJ, so some headroom would be good. I would like a musical sub, but movies are important too.

Current setup

Yamaha RX-V663 AVR, marantz cd6000 OSE cd player, B&W 602 S2 for mains, LCR 600S3 center channel, B&W rock solid for surrounds, HTPC with M-Audio revolution 7.1 sound card.

Possible candidates:

HSU VTF-3 MK3

SVS PB12 NSD - all cylinders are out, low WAF.

Rythmik D15 SE - my wife okayed a higher budget for this one due to its looks! go figure . I have heard only good things about this sub in various reviews, its awesome for music, but how good is it for movies.

Rythmik F12 and F15

Epik Sentinel

ED A5-350

I know all these are great subs, but which ones are good for the room size. Also, which is the first among equals for me? Any other good options that I am missing here.

Is the sub going to be shipped to India? If not India, where?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16981521

Is the sub going to be shipped to India? If not India, where?

It will be shipped in US to a friend's address, and another friend will bring it to india. If needed, will bring it in three parts woofer, amp and cabinet. The shipping included refers to shipping within US.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts