AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to get some more heart pounding thud in the theater system at home. I currently have a Velodyne-10†, JBL-12 and a NEC-12†The velodyne is 1000watts the JBL is 250 and the NEC is 75. I have them all tweeked to the max and it sounds really good in the room which is 13’x19’x8’. I’m looking at the SVS stuff and think that just might be the ticket, (wish I could hear it somewhere). What do you guy think..?

I want big time low end shake your guts bass.

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
Budget?

If you are looking at SVS send them an e-mail. They will give you an honest opinion. They will not try to oversell. They did right by me.

I don't know much about the folks at Velodyne but they have a rep here in the Official Velodyne thread that would probably be happy to make suggestions.

I seem to recall Hsu having reps that visit here from time to time. They do not have an official thread so I can't direct you right to them. Sorry.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Want big time low end shake your guts bass? Trade the Velodyne for a M&K ( www.mksound.com, or www.mkprofessional.com ). Even Russ Hershelmann said M&Ks have more output. Check out his theater he did for Disney with a M&K ( www.uhte.com ) They say "Discover Deep Bass" on their dust caps because they produce deep, articulate and great bass. On their site you will see all the pro users that cannot live without them. Skywalker Ranch, Lucusfilm, Sony Pictures just to name a few. Go thru a dealer (contact Doug Osbourne from their pro site), or eBay. Not enough kidney damaging, 10th row concert bass? Get two M&Ks and stack them in a corner. It will put the THEATER in your home theater.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It seems as though SVS for the same price would outperform M&K. I'm beginning to now think M&K charges a lot for their name considering just how much you get from SVS for their web site prices. For less money you can get 2 SVS subs with a lot more waqtts then one single M&K MX-350. For $1000 you are waaaay better off with SVS then anything M&K has. I've heard the V125 which is $999 and anything SVS has blows it away I will bet you. Even their $500 sub. Or at least it'd come really close. But still, for $1000 from SVS yer gonna get a hell of a lot more then you will from M&K.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
buggs, you use words like: "it seems" and "I bet" to subjectively suggest a AVS sub outperforms a M&K. Have you listened to a M&K? That is the true test. Both SVS and M&K are great subwoofers. But the fact of the matter is M&K is the choice of professional recording studios, and many high-end home theaters. The bottom line is it is a matter of personal choice and name brand loyalty is subjective. Un-biased reviews have been written and tests made made by sound engineers and the M&K although pricey has always proven a great sub. I bet car enthusiasts debate that their Porsche 959 is better than their friends Lamborghini Diablo.

I do know two things: M&K Sound is a sponser to the AVS forum. (I didn't see SVS in the list, however, I have seen SVS advertise here). secondly, M&K subs come with a 10 year warranty. That is confidence. I do not know what the SVS warranty is.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have no problem with hometheaterguy's contributions on this forum and nothing against him personally, but just so everyone knows, hometheaterguy is part of the retail products business.

So, I would take anything he says about brand X (retail) vs. brand Y (direct) with that knowledge in mind.

Quote:
Un-biased reviews have been written and tests made made by sound engineers and the M&K although pricey has always proven a great sub.
But I beleive unbiased tests (Nousaine) have shown the SVS capabilities to outperform most (if not all) of the M&K line for less money.

I say this even though I own an M&K sub myself.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thanks Bruce, I am glad you are welcoming to the forum. You have been here much longer than me. I do not know how you came to conclusions I am a salesman. I am a installer. I do defend Lexicon and do own a Lexi prepro. I support M&K, but I do not even own, or sell M&K subs. I will someday. I try to make each of my posts accurate, unsubjective and unbiased. I try to quote and find true sources to cite and back data with web sites, or articles to provide credibility. So I hope folks here take anything I say with a bit of perspective as well.

From Bruce:"But I believe unbiased tests have shown the SVS capabilities to outperform most (if not all) of the M&K line for less money."

Another "I believe" statement, do you have factual evidence, reviews, or a trustworthy website to PROVE this?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
. I try to make each of my posts accurate, unsubjective and unbiased. I try to quote and find true sources to cite and back data with web sites, or articles to provide credibility. So I hope folks here take anything I say with a bit of perspective as well.
I suspect you have good intentions, but sometimes you get a little carried away, like your claim that Lexicon's surround mode controls were actually "room correction".

I like a good spirited discussion, as all the facts (and opinions) tend to come out, and everyone learns more from the mistakes we make, and I have made plenty of mistakes myself.

Yes, welcome (guess I'm a tad late).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
From Bruce:"But I believe unbiased tests (Nousaine) have shown the SVS capabilities to outperform most (if not all) of the M&K line for less money."

Another "I believe" statement, do you have factual evidence, reviews, or a trustworthy website to PROVE this?
Have you not seen the Nousaine test data?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
As I described in the prepro room correction thread, as I said, I never mentioned "surround sound modes" as a way for room correction. I did mention they have adjustments for room shape. This was a confusion on my part as a room correction control. I then contacted Jeremy Frost from Lexicon he he helped me learn about it. I then came back to the thread to say "I stand corrected". Mistakes are practice. I learned. I never said I was a sound engineer. BTW, why did you feel I was in the retail business?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
BTW, why did you feel I was in the retail business?
I said you were " . . part of the retail products business", I didn't say you were a salesman. Do you ever recommend products for installation?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If one is part of the retail products business, they are into sales. Yes, I have recommended special tools like those from www.lsdinc.com because they are great and cable tools from Cable Pro because they are great. I recommend speakers and products as well, but I never get commission for my recommendations, or advice :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.