Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 3. Dual Klipsch SW-115 - $950

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going nuts trying to figure out what subs to get for my ne wTR. The room is 18x16x9 or 2600 c/f. It will only be used for movies. I've been so curious about SVS subs & the specs on the PB1000 really had me looking at it but some have said it was too small for my room. I want dual subs and I've narrowed it down to the following choices. I can get a great deal for the Klipsch SW-115 at 10% over cost from a friend but I've never been overly impressed with Klipsch subs even though the SW-115 does sound loud. My front towers are full range Energy APS 5+2 powered towers with dual 8" subs in each tower. I have the matching center AC300 that runs with a Polk PSW505 12" sub for full range sound on all 3 front channels. My overall system will be a 9.2 set-up. Can these new wireless sub systems run dual subs? Thanks for any input. My choices are the follwing...

1. Dual SVS PB1000 - $949

2. Dual SVS PB12-NSD - $1449

3. Dual Klipsch SW-115 - $950

The Klipsch are a great deal but I don't want to get them just trying to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any particular reason you would like dual subs?

IMO, as you have a $1,450 max budget I would add a Rythmik FV15HP, Power Sounds XS30 or dual XV15s, dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX, or check around and see if you can get a used Seaton Submersive. If you are handy, you may convert dual AV123 MFW-15s to their turbo charged versions and be extremely happy with that.

One great sub can crush two lesser subs.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
At $1500, you can get dual Hsu VTF3s, and for just a bit over that you can get dual PSA XV15s, either of which will knock out the SVS subs and should come close to equaling the Klipsch subs in output if not match or exceed them, and beat them in extension. But at that Klipsch discount, it looks like you could get three of them which would be an insane value at $1500. If you set three of those brutes up correctly it will give you a beautiful FR at every seat. If you can only get two subs, for for PSA's or Hsus, but if you can accommodate three, get the Klipsch's. SVS's are not competing at this point in output or extension.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
^what he said...sorry to say but SVS can no longer compete with the other ID companies on a price vs performance standpoint. 2 xv15's fromPSA are 1518.00 shipped to your door and will nock the sox of off any SVS sub other than the pb13 ultra...one of those cost 2k and 2 xv15's would smash it for 500.00 less. however I would get the sw-115's for 950.00, thats a smoking deal!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard such great things about SVS subs over the years I was liking what I saw from them & the reviews. There seem to be so many options & from subs that I've never heard of before. I had been thinking of dual subs for my 9.2 system just to get more sound while not having to drive a single sub as hard. I wasn't sure how much sub I really needed. I have a single Energy S12.3 that sounds great to me in a larger space in my family room. This is the reason that I was originally looking at the dual PB1000. I started looking at the PB12-NSD thinking that it should produce more sound & sound even better than my S12.3 & with 2 of them it should rock my TR. It also seemed that they would be better built then the SW-115 but the deal on the SW-115 is such a deal but I want an excellent product too & I feel that the SVS, and others mentioned too would be better built & sound better. The $1500 isn't a hard number, I just thought that I could get more then enough sound for my TR at that point. I also thought about buying a single PB12-NSD to see how it sounded & add another one if I wanted too. The PSA XV15 looks to be a good option too. The more I learn the harder this gets!

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
I can gurantee the sw-115 will have considerably more output then both of those SVS subs. Fwiw Tom @ PSA is one of the guys who started SVS. Contact him if you will...he told me that 1 xv15's(799.00 shipped) would have the same output as two pb12nsd's(1449.00 shipped)... a closer comparison from a performance standpoint would be the pb12 plus, then compare prices. like I said SVS is no longer a value leader in Internet Direct sub's, they are a high quality sub no doubt. Its just a simple fact other companies are offering more for less. I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I spent weeks researching subs and contacting ID companies...Imo my business would go to PSA or HSU because of thier quality product, customer service, and bang for the buck. I have around 50 return emails from Tom @ PSA, he even responds at 11:00pm, no other company does that from my experience. He will take the time to make sure your happy and everything is setup and working correctly. That imo goes along way
Read the Power Sound Audio thread, website, and then give Tom a shout...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23235331

check the thread out for [email protected] 16hz 1 psa xv15 has +5db output over the pb12nsd and avg. +7db output across the fr range. so it would take 2 pb12nsd to equal 1 xv15.

http://www.data-bass.com/systems
...... and looking at those charts, @12.5hz the Rythmik FV15HP is putting out 98.5db which is more than the XV15's 98.1db @16hz. At 16hz the FV15HP is putting out almost 6db more than the XV15 (104db vs 98.1db). It just goes to show ya, you get what you pay for.........most of the time.

One glaring thing missing from those specs is, where is HSU??? They have awesome subs too and they have been flat out ignored.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23237479

...... and looking at those charts, @12.5hz the Rythmik FV15HP is putting out 98.5db which is more than the XV15's 98.1db @16hz. At 16hz the FV15HP is putting out almost 6db more than the XV15 (104db vs 98.1db). It just goes to show ya, you get what you pay for.........most of the time.

One glaring thing missing from those specs is, where is HSU??? They have awesome subs too and they have been flat out ignored.

2 rythmik fv15hp are 2573.00 shipped...2 xv15's are 1518.00 shipped, i can add a 3rd for a total of 2267.00 and have more output than 2 fv15hp's...yep ya sure do get what ya pay for now dont ya?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It is true that folks buy sub based on output and extension but don't forget to factor in the servo part Rythmik offers. It is the most accurate/musical sub I have heard in its price range. I have not heard any of the PSA sub however.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23237555

It is true that folks buy sub based on output and extension but don't forget to factor in the servo part Rythmik offers. It is the most accurate/musical sub I have heard in its price range. I have not heard any of the PSA sub however.

the point to all this was the op had 1500.00 to spend. the xv15's were the best option in his budget range. I would much rather have dual subs instead of one...nobody here said the rythmik is a bad sub, they are awsome for those who have the coin to drop on them. I would much rather have 2 xv15's over one fv15hp...of course I would rather have 2 fv15hp's over 2 xv15's, but for 1000.00 difference, well yea thats up to the end user to decide. I never said PSA is the end all of ID sub companies, however bang for the buck and the outstanding customer service they offer is hard to rival. yes there are better subs on the market, never once did i say otherwise.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
also i believe in my initial post i said to go with the sw-115's for 950.00... thats a smokin deal.

oh and to touch bass on rythmiks servo technology. that really only comes into play when trying to extract the most out of the sub, hince how they get the extra spl out of the fv15hp. has nothing to do with being musical. one can take multiple subs and not drive them as hard and achieve the same thing. some folks get caught up on a technology that one company has because they do not see it elsewhere. servo is a great technology, but at a cost. for folks limited to one sub and want max output available, then the fv15hp is a great option. however folks that have room for multiple subs, spending the extra money on a servo sub is not as big of deal.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
IIRC, doesn't adding a second sub give you ~3 db boost. It still seems logical the the OP should also consider the Rythmik FV15HP since it pretty much runs 6db higher than the XV15, goes lower and would fill his 2600 cu/ft room quite nicely. It is the only sub that was given the "extreme room" award in that Audioholic sub shootout from a couple years ago. And it still falls below his $1500.00 budget.

There's so many good choices out there that information overload is inevitable. It is a good time to be into this hobby.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23238163

IIRC, doesn't adding a second sub give you ~3 db boost. It still seems logical the the OP should also consider the Rythmik FV15HP since it pretty much runs 6db higher than the XV15, goes lower and would fill his 2600 cu/ft room quite nicely. It is the only sub that was given the "extreme room" award in that Audioholic sub shootout from a couple years ago. And it still falls below his $1500.00 budget.

There's so many good choices out there that information overload is inevitable. It is a good time to be into this hobby.

no it can give up to 6db per sub...depends if they are coupled or not. fyi i hit 122db uncorrected on my radio shack spl meter with 2xv15's with some headroom left. that measurement was taken from my LP. Whats your fv15hp hit?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23238200

no it can give up to 6db per sub...depends if they are coupled or not. fyi i hit 122db uncorrected on my radio shack spl meter with 2xv15's with some headroom left. that measurement was taken from my LP. Whats your fv15hp hit?
I don't know as I never play it that loud.......even if just to experiment. My hearing is too valuable to be gettin all wreckless. I'm glad that your subs are doin what you want them to do, so is mine.

My intention is not to get into some sort of sub pissing match here and if it makes you happy, you win! I'm merely trying to point out that there are more choices than the few the OP listed that are well within his budget, that's all.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23238235

I don't know as I never play it that loud.......even if just to experiment. My hearing is too valuable to be gettin all wreckless. I'm glad that your subs are doin what you want them to do, so is mine.

My intention is not to get into some sort of sub pissing match here and if it makes you happy, you win! I'm merely trying to point out that there are more choices than the few the OP listed that are well within his budget, that's all.

thats what they invented ear plugs ie hearing protection for...

if you were "merely" trying to inform the op about other options, you would not of put me on blast with your first post. perhaps you should go back and reread and you will see why im getting slightly defensive. I know rythmik is a better sub and I was quite aware of the data bass tests before I went with PSA...so there was no need to throw that jab. Fwiw I was originally going to buy from them, but there customer service is lacking imo. RYTHMIK is a TOP NOTCH SUBWOOFER, neve once did I deny it or ever will. Now please lets move on and let the op make his decision.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yeah, I could see how it might have hit you that way.........it was not at all my intent. Just was pointing out that the chart you posted also showed other qualifying options at his disposal. Sorry if I offended. Agreed, let's move on.

I am kinda curious....... you don't really wear earplugs when doin those callibrations, do you?

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1469379/sub-help-what-to-get-for-my-new-tr#post_23238323

Yeah, I could see how it might have hit you that way.........it was not at all my intent. Just was pointing out that the chart you posted also showed other qualifying options at his disposal. Sorry if I offended. Agreed, let's move on.

I am kinda curious....... you don't really wear earplugs when doin those callibrations, do you?

cool apology accepted!

I always wear hearing protection when measuring with rew or max spl testing. The one time i did not resulted in ears ringing. Too many years of high spl car audio in my younger days. I believe I may have some slight damage on the low end since I like to run my subs fairly hot...not 100%

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do appreciate all the info guys! I'm very excited to see the performance benefit that the PSA offers over the SVS for similar money. I looked at their web site but the pics seem to show the sub differently. Do you have a good picture of what it looks like. It fires downward onto a plate of some sort. Does this matter? I always thought that a forward firing sub would be best but maybe this doesn't matter? I still get the feeling that the build quality & customer service from companies like PSA & SVS are miles above the Klipsch but the bottom line is am I stupid for not doing the deal on the Klipsch SW-115 or is the additional $500 worth it for the PSA subs?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts