AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing SVS PC-16-46. My question is on my receiver, should I setup my floor standing tower speakers (PSB Stratus Golds) as small speakers? I believe this will cut all signals under 80hz to the fronts and output it to the sub? Do I want this? A sub to handle all the signals 80hz and below? Or should I have my fronts that have pretty good bass response to still handle < 80hz signals? So, set them up as large or small?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Your subwoofer is much better suited to produce bass than your mains or other speakers. Running an all small sub=yes is the preferred method of hookup when you have a capable subwoofer. IMHO, it is foolish to run speakers as large when you have a real subwoofer. DD and DTS have 20Hz-20KHz info sent to all speakers when set as large and very, very few speakers can hit 20Hz with any sort of SPL, so use the sub to take the brunt of the abusive bass. Running speakers as small also frees up headroom for your other channels which results in cleaner mid-bass and treble production, as well as lowers distortion.

YMMV,

Sorny

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. But! Will this affect the way my music (non HT) is played? I really like the way my music sounds atm. So, if I change my fronts to small, will it also play as small in my music? (CDs)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Depends on your receiver. If in doubt, run your cd player into an analog input and engage direct mode.

I, however, am of the opinion that a good subwoofer makes music more enjoyable as well. An SVS should be plent stout and work just fine for music when properly calibrated.

Sorny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.