AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a modest Living Room HT setup. My powered sub is next to the TV armoire right now. System sounds great. However, I have an extra space in one of the cabinets. Would it affect the sound if I put the sub in the cabinet and just open the door to it while the HT is in use. I always hear that you can put the subs anywhere, is this true?

Jason

·
Registered
541 Posts
Generally, no you cannot put a sub in an off-the-shelf, unmodified television cabinet. It would be a giant resonating chamber and prone to rattles. There are ways to reinforce your cabinet and dampen the backs and sides to make it acceptable, but it would probably be very difficult. Also, the myth that subs can be placed anywhere is only partially true. The location of your sub is critical to producing a smooth, flat transition from your main speakers to your sub.

Placing your sub in a cabinet is likely to create all sorts of spikes and dips in the response.

But what the heck, try it out and see what happens!

·
Registered
79 Posts
At the moment, I too have a subwoofer in an armoire. It's acceptable when you are using a modestly-sized sub (8" or less) with a front-firing cone (unobstructed by the cabinet) and when the armoire itself is very solid and immobile (to minimize the resonance Patrick mentioned in his previous post). Of course it also helps if your mains are full-range so that you aren't asking the sub to take on too wide a set of frequencies.

On the other hand, I will not pretend to say that I consider it to be an ideal solution. When the spouse lets me order the B&W ASW600, it will not be placed in the armoire, I can tell you that much.

Best solution, as Patrick said, is for you to try it out and see what you think. It's free, after all. Test it on a good symphonic recording, and then on the "helicopter crash" scene from The Matrix, and see what you think. ;-)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have a 10" sub in my cabinet (kind of) with no resonating problems. I constructed a shelf where the bottom shelf where the sub sits is floating. So the if you look closely to the attached picture you will see the sub is resting on a floating shelf about 3/4" above the bottom shelf. What you don't see is that the floating shelf has three legs about 4-5" tall on it and the bottom shelf has three holes in it for these three legs to fit through. The sub and its shelf is resting directly on the ground with no mechanical attachment to the shelf holding the rest of the equipment.

PS excuse the mess of wiring off to the right of the picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.