AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the sub that is in a Performance Furniture?

http://www.performancefurniture.com/st/default.html

Here are the specs:

375 Watt Class A/B Amplifier

635 Watts Peak Dynamic Power

Class A/B Circuitry Design

22Hz-120Hz Frequency Response

Discrete Component Output Stage

Auto Sensing & 12 Volt Trigger Turn-on

Continuously adjustable Input Level

Variable Crossover Setting 50-100Hz

Accessible LFE By-Pass switch

15 Hz Built-in High Pass Filter

Phase Control Switch for System Blend

Main Power Switch for Total Power Down

High & Low Level Inputs

All Inputs Mono Summed

Full frequency High & Low Level By-Pass

Input Sensitivity 3.5 Volts

Input Impedance rating 22,000 Ohms

Total Harmonic Distortion @ Rated Output 0.08%

Input Voltage Switchable 110/220 VAC

Large Finned Heat-Sink For Cooling

Dual 10 inch Kevlar/Paper Pulp Woofers

Heavy Cast Woofer Frames

Woven Tinsel Leads into Spiders

Long Life Santoprene Woofer Surrounds

Kapton Voice Coil Formers

Large Voice Coils for High Output Levels

Sealed System for Deep Low Frequency Response

How would you rate this sub from the specs?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
It doesn't look that bad. dual 10" sealed and 375 watt amp. Probably doesn't do much below 30 hz though. Still, if you need a disguised sub, that is a pretty fancy looking cover. For something a bit similar, check out the VTF3 in rosenut finish. It doesn't pretend not to be a subwoofer but it will blend in nice furniture well, and will have much deeper extension. Makes a perfect endtable!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/20851334

It doesn't look that bad. dual 10" sealed and 375 watt amp. Probably doesn't do much below 30 hz though. Still, if you need a disguised sub, that is a pretty fancy looking cover. For something a bit similar, check out the VTF3 in rosenut finish. It doesn't pretend not to be a subwoofer but it will blend in nice furniture well, and will have much deeper extension. Makes a perfect endtable!

I own a SVS PB13-Ultra already. I was looking at the Performance Furniture because it looked like furniture.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

Probably doesn't do much below 30 hz...

I'll look into that. I'll call them tomorrow and if it does go below 25, would you consider this a good sub?

375 watts does not seem like enough power? My SVS has 1000 watts.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Man, for $2800, that's not much sub. I know there is a lot of craftsmanship in the cabinet, and I guess if you had an extreme case of WAF it would be there for you, but damn...

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw /forum/post/20851363

Probably doesn't do much below 30 hz...

I'll look into that. I'll call them tomorrow and if it does go below 25, would you consider this a good sub?

Find out how loud it is at 30-25hz. They should have a db reading.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
lol I didn't see the price, $2500! That isn't going to give you much performance for that amount. Even if it is flat to 25 hz (I really doubt that and I doubt their specs unless the sub is EQ'd), it isn't going to have a huge amount of output, with only a couple 10"s on 375 watts. What you are paying for essentially is the nice cabinet, not high performance.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/20851584

lol I didn't see the price, $2500! That isn't going to give you much performance for that amount. Even if it is flat to 25 hz (I really doubt that and I doubt their specs unless the sub is EQ'd), it isn't going to have a huge amount of output, with only a couple 10"s on 375 watts. What you are paying for essentially is the nice cabinet, not high performance.

That is what I have been thinking. 375 watts seemed awful low. I'll keep my SVS PB13 Ultra with 1000 watts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You can build end table subs that will blow that thing away. Your crazy if you buy that. A decent carpenter would build you something like that for less than $1000. Throw the driver and amp in and you are good to go.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is in the DIY forum:

Here is the thread, I am sure it is a much better performance and value.

Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Sub

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thank everyone for their thoughts. That is exactly why I posted this thread. I needed input.

As per you advice, I will NOT be purchasing the Performance Furniture.

This morning, I decided to place a sub in a cabinet that does not have doors and is under the TV. This will be hidden and should meet my wife's "you can do anything you want as long as it is hidden"

Pictures of what I am talking about...

I have a Samsung 55 B8000 in a cabinet and directly under the TV is an area with wine that is for decoration only. That area is 49 inches wide, maximum height is 16" and 13 inches off the tiled floor.

The opening is 16" high and I will be placing foam in the area to help with vibration and sound.

I could pull out 1/2 of the wine decoration leaving a nice area for the second sub.

In front of, where it sub will be, will be a chair 36 inches from the back of the chair to the sub that will be 13 inches off the floor in a cabinet.

My main sub is a SVS PB13-Ultra which is off to the left of the TV.

SVS e-mailed me this morning and said there should be no problems with a sub in the cabinet with a chair in front of it...

Quote from SVS
The chair won't matter at all and won’t be any sort of obstacle. Bass is very different from upper frequencies and can be behind chairs, cabinets, etc. with no ill effect since the wavelengths are so long.

The Fathom f110 or the f120 would fit nicely in the cabinet.

This seems like a better move.

Your thoughts, please

m

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have thought about building a tv stand with two 15's on each end built into the cabinet. That way you can still have shelves in the middle for all your components...add in a powerful pro amp and you are good to go. As soon as you work out all the vibrations you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20852555

I have thought about building a tv stand with two 15's on each end built into the cabinet. That way you can still have shelves in the middle for all your components...add in a powerful pro amp and you are good to go. As soon as you work out all the vibrations you should be good to go.

Regarding vibrations, I think lining the section of the cabinet where the sub will with foam should do the trick correct. What about the TV above the sub and the electronic components above the TV? Any problem there??????

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw /forum/post/0

Regarding vibrations, I think lining the section of the cabinet where the sub will with foam should do the trick correct. What about the TV above the sub and the electronic components above the TV? Any problem there??????

I don't think most tv's have problems with magnets in subs anymore but I'm not sure...you best bet would be to contact svs and your tv manufacturer. I wouldn't put anything like an HTPC in there.

As for the vibration I don't think it's avoidable since my subs which aren't connected rattle my tv stand. I would use rubber feet on everything from components including the shelves so it will be decoupled from the cabinet. If all else fails use silicone.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20852590

I don't think most tv's have problems with magnets in subs anymore but I'm not sure...you best bet would be to contact svs and your tv manufacturer.

Only CRTs had the problem with sub/speaker magnets. Cathode-ray tubes don't like magnetic fields.

Flat panels and DLP/LCOS projections don't have any problem with them.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20852590

I don't think most tv's have problems with magnets in subs anymore but I'm not sure...you best bet would be to contact svs and your tv manufacturer. I wouldn't put anything like an HTPC in there.

As for the vibration I don't think it's avoidable since my subs which aren't connected rattle my tv stand. I would use rubber feet on everything from components including the shelves so it will be decoupled from the cabinet. If all else fails use silicone.

Good thoughts. I will investigate, thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.