AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a dedicated HT mostly for movies using 5.1. My side surrounds are in-wall Silver Triads about 7 feet high and mounted in a column. Other than expense, are there any reasons to add an in-wall sub to each side surround, say, below the Triad? One sub comes to mind is the NHT IWS Passive In-Wall sub with its X-1 crossover and A1 amp. The NHT cut-out is 13 1/8"w x 13 1/8"h x 3 3/8"d, about the same size as the Triad.

I suppose if I had a pre/pro that has bass management in the surrounds, like the Lexicon, I could experiment with the sub for surround music. But for now, it's mostly action movies.

If I add a sub, any other in-walls to consider?

Take Aim

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
If you are listening to SACD's you will want full range from your surrounds. However if your main consideration is movies, then having low bass output is not an issue, since movie soundtracks use the surrounds as effects for three dimensional imaging, summing the deep bass to the LFE channel. Based on your preferances one sub should work for you.

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you have some space above, below or somewhere next to the room, an infinite baffle sub would give you the best of both worlds - flush mounting and great bass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.