AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture. Don't laugh at the size of the display, as my wife would say...it's not the size that matters. Anyhow, don't mind the wiring, had to pull everything to get the sub cables out of the wall. 15" DJ woofer on the right is temporary until i figure out sub issues.

Here's the dimensions of the room. 15 ft wide, 7 ft tall, and 25 ft long. The greatest part is the wall the TV is mounted on is a false wall. Behind that is a room with water heater and furnace. 15' W x 7' T x 10' L.

To the left of the display is my "rack" so to speak. Housing all the electronics, with 4 120mm fans pulling air from theater room into empty furnace room.

So now the fun part. I was running a simple 12" no-name brand sub under the display, and the center speaker just sat on that. The sub didn't cut it, never had enough output for the large room. I did some reading on infinite baffles, thinking the room behind the front sound stage would act as a great "baffle area". Then i started thinking of running a 15 foot wide front ported box, flush mounted under the display with 4 15" subs powered by an external amp. Maybe a couple of THT's in the corners...i'm not sure.

I have a hard time buying mass produced subs...plus the wife hates "boxes just laying around." I could buy a couple of lava lsp12's and throw them in the corners and be wishing for more for the next 5 years.

The motto of the build is "You can always turn down overkill." I told that to my wife and she put a limit of $1000 on things. I guess overkill is out the window at that price point, but i'd like to squeeze out all i could. Throw some ideas at me, don't be afraid to MSpaint the heck out of the picture.

90% HT, 10% music.

Marantz sr5003, ps3, crap TV, elemental designs 3 w6-6tc's LCR, polk TSi 100's for the side and rear surrounds.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think your on the right track here with a IB

here is a good place to start in that direction
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi

I think you can get 4 IB18's from FIcaraudio for that price and it looks like you already have a amp for that. All you would need is a FBD and your set.

Make sure you find the right place for your sub/subs first though. Do you have some kind of measuring equipment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the basic SPL meter from radioshack that everyone and their dog has.

The BFD is something on my list of to get's as well. I've been doing some reading on those forums, great source of info. I haven't dealt with IB setups before, and i'll be honest...a sub outside of a box baffles the ____ out of me. Must be why they call it infinite baffle.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
1- TC Sounds LMS-R 15" DVC Subwoofer

1- Behringer EP4000 Europower Power Amplifier 2 x 1400W

1- Behringer MIC2200 2-Ch Tube Mic/Line Preamplifier
Box

Or

4- Dayton RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm

1- Behringer EP4000 Europower Power Amplifier 2 x 1400W

1- Behringer MIC2200 2-Ch Tube Mic/Line Preamplifier

Custom box equal to 4 of the above