AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Is there a recommended surface to stand a sub woofer on? I have an REL T5 sub and it's currently sitting on my carpeted floor. This sub only has a bottom facing speaker (no side ports) which got me wondering wether the carpet might be absorbing sound waves??

Would I be better off standing it on a reflective surface such as a dedicated marble plinth?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It's fine as is. A carpet will have no effect. The reason is that the sound waves the sub produces are very long.

Reactions: Danboy24

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
So as long as the wave length is greater than the length of the shag pile I should be OK?
Damping materials will have an effect on wavelengths considerably longer than their thickness. OTOH since the shortest wavelength coming from a sub with a 100Hz low pass is eleven feet you need not be concerned.
Would I be better off standing it on a reflective surface such as a dedicated marble plinth?
No, because that would reflect above bandwidth harmonics that you want damped.

Reactions: Danboy24

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I use an Auralex GRAMMA Isolation Riser for my sub.
I have seen these discussed and looked at their website but I'm not sure I understand the point of them...

I have a platform in-wall that holds up my huge subwoofer boxes that around 150-200 pounds or more each. I placed some sorbithane between the actual subwoofer box and all touching surfaces. Seems to work fine but I doubt it makes a dramatic acoustic difference one way or another. I mainly wanted to prevent any rattling or scratching from the boxes since I can't actually screw the boxes into place.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I have seen these discussed and looked at their website but I'm not sure I understand the point of them...
Making money. :cool:

Reactions: Alan P
1 - 7 of 7 Posts