AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a set of Kenwood Speaker that I bought about 8 years ago, the receiver took a dump several years back, so I replaced it with a Pioneer Receiver. Have had a problem that I think was showing up even when the whole system was brand new: When I crank up a movie to the level I like, during action scenes the Woofer will make a loud popping noise....any ideas why? It is an 8" Sub, says it will do 160W, I wouldn't think I'm overdriving it, but it seems like it's been doing this since it was brand new.....The model number on the Sub is: SW-35HT (160W)

The sub is an amplified sub, the signal comes in from the receiver via RCA cable.....I really like to crank the sub up, but maybe it won't go as loud as I like? I've heard many home theater setups, and I should be able to crank this thing.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
sounds like it's either clipping or bottoming out. both would be the result of pushing it to hard. time for something bigger and better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's more important, size or Watts? I see a 10" inch Yamaha all over Ebay for around $100, but it's only rated at 100W? I wonder if that would give me more thump than the 8" Kenwood?

Better yet, any ideas for a nice home theater sub for $100 or less? Something that would be an upgrade from the Kenwood 8", it must not be putting out enough for me......

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS7 /forum/post/17046736

What's more important, size or Watts? I see a 10" inch Yamaha all over Ebay for around $100, but it's only rated at 100W? I wonder if that would give me more thump than the 8" Kenwood?

Better yet, any ideas for a nice home theater sub for $100 or less? Something that would be an upgrade from the Kenwood 8", it must not be putting out enough for me......

i'd recommend you save up a little bit and get something worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Velodyne VX-10 is the least expensive sub I'd recommend. It's not under $100 but frys is having a sale on it and it's not much over. If you do decide to go with it I'd advise to do it quick. That's the best offering I've seen for that sub. The next budget sub I'd recommend would be the Bic F12 which can be found for around $180.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts