AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking for a "plug and play" sub solution to complete the following HT system:

Panasonic Plasma 65VT50

Paradigm Studio CC-490 v5

Paradigm Studio 20s v5

Paradigm Studio 10s v5

Denon AVR 3312ci

My room is 15' X 19". I have an old Klipsch KSW-12 (bought a decade or so ago). I plan on using the Audyssey set-up with my new Denon AVS... and was going to try it without the sub... but I'm having second thoughts. I wonder if I just use my old Klipsch sub or buy another to round out my system. Any thoughts or recommendations? (My budget is around $600, which I would prefer to save if my Klipsch does the job.) Thanks!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. From reading the description on the HSU site (see below), there are a lot of options on setting up the VTF series. Can I set this up with my Denon Audyssey function and not have to make numerous decisions (which I'm ignorant to make)?

"The VTF series subwoofers are the most adjustable subwoofers in the world. It's like buying 10 or more different subs for the price of one. For a given budget, you can design it to go low, or play loud, or have a ported subwoofer or sealed subwoofer, tight bass or full bass, but not all at the same time. Now with the VTF series, you can have any possible combination. You can operate it in one port open, two ports open, or sealed mode. You can adjust the bass tightness by using our Q control. Whatever your preference and room acoustics, you should be able to find a setting that works great for you."

I'm not looking to shake the house, as this would be especially frowned upon by my spouse. I asssume I could learn how to set it up the way I want... but with quite a bit of researching and playing with it. Would one of HSU's STF series be an easier "plug n play" or would I lose the ability to avoid shaking the house? Sorry to sound so basic, but, as you can tell, I am not a sub guy.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Just because the VTF subs have lots of adjustment features doesn't mean you have to get lost in setting it up. To be honest, it will sound good in any of the modes, and some of the adjustments you can make have more dramatic changes and others will only have a very subtle change. The STF series are a more plug-and-play sub, but if you want the one of the more powerful VTF subs and don't want to spend much time adjusting its sound, the thing to do is switch it to max output mode, leave the port unblocked, and leave the Q to the default setting. You will definitely want to rerun audyssey after you have the sub installed though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1417287/sub-newbie-last-piece-for-my-ht-system#post_22163237

Just because the VTF subs have lots of adjustment features doesn't mean you have to get lost in setting it up. To be honest, it will sound good in any of the modes, and some of the adjustments you can make have more dramatic changes and others will only have a very subtle change. The STF series are a more plug-and-play sub, but if you want the one of the more powerful VTF subs and don't want to spend much time adjusting its sound, the thing to do is switch it to max output mode, leave the port unblocked, and leave the Q to the default setting. You will definitely want to rerun audyssey after you have the sub installed though.

Thanks ShadyJ! After my last post, I read the quick set-up brochure on the HSU website... and then read a couple of posts on HSU set-up (one of which you answered). This, coupled with your reply, makes me feel like the set-up won't be as bad as I thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts