AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my new floorstanding monitor 50's and I started to calibrate them with my onkyo 509 using the audyessey 2eq with mic and for some reason the right side front dosent get picked up. When i compare it to the left side it sounds a lot lower in sound like something is wrong. I checked my wiring and it is all good. I am stumped as to what the problem could be, since this is my first venture into the home audio market. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Asymmetrical room layout (like a doorway on one side of the room, or no wall on one side and a very close wall on the other) may be affecting your results.

Regardless of the auto-calibration, you should set the speakers to at least an 80hz crossover with all the speakers set to Small.

When you say you checked the wiring, did you make sure that the polarity was correct on all connections?

Was the room's background noise low the entire time of the calibration? Or did your air conditioner kick on right when the front left or right speaker was being tested?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before the calibration I went ahead and set the crossover to 80hz and set all my speakers to small right out of the box. I did check polarity on all connections after the first time it sounded off. And I made sure all noise was gone in the room before running calibration. I even shut-down my server in the basement because you can slightly hear it. When I do a calibration test all the other speakers sound fine, so I took the wire from the center channel and hooked it up to the 50 so all center channel would come out of it and it still sounds bad. So i think I may have got a bad speaker.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Good sleuthing!

Also, you should check AFTER the calibration that the speaker sizes and crossover are where you want them. Auto-cal can changes these, and often makes terrible decisions.

The EQ points it figures out are still valid...it's just that some may not be used once change the speakers back to Small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.