AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of optimizing my speakers and settings, heres a quick run down of the speakers:

mirage omni 260s mains

cc center

omnistas in rear

LF 150 sub

the sub has a phase switch, 180-0 I'm not sure what this means. what is this setting for?

i set my speaker's to "Large" and the crossover to 80. everything else is pretty much zeroed out.

is there an optimization guide somewhere?

excuse the newbness pls. thank you for your help

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd think there would be instructions in the manual? Anyway, the correct phase will yield the highest level of bass at your listening position. Easiest way to set it is to play a test tone that is around your 80Hz crossover frequency. Have a helper turn the knob while you either measure with a meter (easiest) or listen. Highest level wins! You may have to go back and adjust the level.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Blou, speakers (and sound itself) work by alternately compressing and de-compressing (called 'rarefying') the air. When wpeakers are compressing and rarefying in synch, they are said to be 'in phase'.

When mis-wired, so one compresses while another rarefies, they are out of phase, and some sound is lost because the 'peaks' of one speaker's waves gets absorbed in the 'trough' of the others.

With bass in particular, you want all of the waves to be in synch so they reinforce each other. As John said, you can tell when they are in phase because the bass will be stronger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
john, out of all the speakers the sub was the only one not in stock so i took one of the 3 floor models (newest) so it came with no manual.

if the crossover is set to 80 then should the dial on the subs frequency be set to 80 also? if not how does that effect sound?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlouZbee
john, out of all the speakers the sub was the only one not in stock so i took one of the 3 floor models (newest) so it came with no manual.

if the crossover is set to 80 then should the dial on the subs frequency be set to 80 also? if not how does that effect sound?
I would have grabbed the salesperson by the collar and forced him/her to make a zerox copy of the manual! Well, actually I probably would have just asked:) Me, gotta have a manual for everything I own. Of course then I usually lose them somewhere . . .

When using the bass management in the receiver as you are, turn the frequency control on the sub all the way up, as high as in frequency as it will go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's a link to the manual from the Mirage site:

LF Sub Manual

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Again, John is correct. You don't want two crossovers contributing to the, well, crossing-over. Only a full-range feed to the sub will require using the sub's crossover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.