AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks in advance to anyone taking a stab at this. I appreciate any feedback whether negative or positive!

I know there's no way around it. Bass is going to be swallowed up in this large room and especially since there's a stairwell connecting to the living room. So far I'm pleased with the sound, but I often wonder if I could maximize the room's potential.

How would you arrange the two subwoofers in this room?

Here is a layout of my combined living room / kitchen.

Gear:

55" LG lcd/led

Polk m60s

Polk CS2

Polk m30s

Earthquake FF12 sub on riser

Acoustic Audio HD-15 sub on riser

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
First time I have ever seen a piano as a center channel stand...hah...nice...

Those two spots look pretty good for your subs but I would suggest putting them directly on the floor.

I would also experiment with having both of them flank your couch on the sides or have both of them in the front on each side of the piano.

Tough to say by just looking as we don't know your rooms acoustics. You may have some crazy bass nodes going on. Just experiment with placement and decide what sounds best to you.

If you really want to get crazy, you can get an SPL meter, some test tones and graph your rooms response. This can be done on the cheap with just SPL meter, test tones, and graph paper....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
What kind of receiver and do you have any eq? I would think placing your subs like this would cause phase issues especially using any kind of room correction software except for xt32. I would try either sides of the tv...level match both and then they will be equal distances from the main listening position. It is possible now that you could be canceling them out if your phase is off. I really need more information about your hardware to come up with a possible way to test. An spl meter would help tho. Some people actually prefer lifting the SUbs 2 feet in the air in an 8ft room to deal with vertical room nodes. (25%) is that where you got the idea for the risers?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Another option would be to collocate them in a corner, (put one on top of the other). Corner reinforcement, along with collocation, increases efficiency, minimizes phase issues and reduces distortion. However, a smoother response might be achieved when correctly placing the subwoofers throughout the room.

Like Drew said, experiment and decide what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/20839202

I would also experiment with having both of them flank your couch on the sides

+1. And it's a relatively easy test, since only one sub needs to be moved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFanboi1200 /forum/post/20839184

Looks like a nice comfortable room
Any chance you can pull the davenport away from the back wall and put the subs behind it? Maybe others can chime in.

I tried pulling the sofa away from the wall, and it kills the layout of the room. My sofa ended up in the dead center with no room to walk heh. Although it did sound great and provide some sweet tactile bass behind the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/20839202

First time I have ever seen a piano as a center channel stand...hah...nice...

Those two spots look pretty good for your subs but I would suggest putting them directly on the floor.

I would also experiment with having both of them flank your couch on the sides or have both of them in the front on each side of the piano.

Tough to say by just looking as we don't know your rooms acoustics. You may have some crazy bass nodes going on. Just experiment with placement and decide what sounds best to you.

If you really want to get crazy, you can get an SPL meter, some test tones and graph your rooms response. This can be done on the cheap with just SPL meter, test tones, and graph paper....

Right. Trial and error. This weekend I will have plenty of time to rearrange the subs and play test tones & music.

As much as I love the piano, it did make things difficult when setting up speakers. On the bright side, I didn't need a center speaker stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20839748

What kind of receiver and do you have any eq? I would think placing your subs like this would cause phase issues especially using any kind of room correction software except for xt32. I would try either sides of the tv...level match both and then they will be equal distances from the main listening position. It is possible now that you could be canceling them out if your phase is off. I really need more information about your hardware to come up with a possible way to test. An spl meter would help tho. Some people actually prefer lifting the SUbs 2 feet in the air in an 8ft room to deal with vertical room nodes. (25%) is that where you got the idea for the risers?

Oh I forgot to mention my receiver. It's a Denon AVR-1911 with Audyssey multi-EQ. I'm running into some phase problems, and I'm not sure it will be an easy fix since there isn't a phase dial on my subs. It's either 0 or 180.

Yeah I read that about the risers. It definitely sounds better with them on risers rather on the floor. The bass sounds a bit tighter and less boomy. I'll try your suggestion with placing on both sides of the TV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty happy with the dual front sub arrangement. I ended up using the extra space on top of my piano as an AV stand. The front sound stage is a bit cleaner now that I removed a table. The overall bass output is a little less since I lost the corner placement, but overall it sounds better: smoother, more even bass and not at all muddy.

It sounded equally good with subs placed on both sides of my sofa, but I think the front arrangement works better since I can use my L-shaped end tables on both sides of the couch.

I also tried dual corner placement with the subs facing the kitchen. The bass out put was really strong, but a bit too boomy for my taste. It's going to take some adjustment having my piano so cluttered, but it should work fine until I have to get it tuned next year. What do you guys think of the layout?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.