AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to relocate my subwoofer and my understanding is that subwoofers dont really have a certain area they have to be in is this correct?

I ask because I was thinking of moving it behind the listening area like behind my couch or recliner in a corner area.

Which leads to my next question....

The sub is self powered and uses an RCA Connection on the cable. Is it possible to use a coupler cable to join two rca cables together to extend the length. How much sound quality will I lose if any? This isnt really a high end setup that I have it's a Phillips 600 watt dd system.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Maybe one of the true electonic guys could weigh in here as I have the same question. I am in process of experminting with my PB2+ in different areas of a large Family room. I have one very large cord but its still not long enough to get to some places. I have one of those female to female converters and was just going to use another good cable and hook them together for testing. I'd hate to go out and buy a 50 Ft. cable if I dont need it. Anyone see any problems for just testing and calibration?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could try making your own out of RG59 or RG6...It's really pretty easy...

The cheapest way would be to use RG59 with this RCA plug..

Click here for PartsExpress RCA Plug

Or if your willing to spend more on crimps...

You could use these also..

There are other solutions also but I'm only showing you a couple you might think about.

Sub placement does matter....Mine doesn't do well sitting behind me but sounds great corner loaded to the right of my system....

I've always heard that the way to place one...is to put it in your regular listening position then walk around the room and determine where it sounds best.....that's where you should place it. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Comparison of RG59 and RG6? Was thinking about ordering a big roll for attenna leads to the attic, sub cable, component cables... Can I do all that with one type and then buy the various connectors?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nintari

The sub is self powered and uses an RCA Connection on the cable. Is it possible to use a coupler cable to join two rca cables together to extend the length. How much sound quality will I lose if any? This isnt really a high end setup that I have it's a Phillips 600 watt dd system.

I moved my living room around recently, before the move, my sub just had one cable to the receiver. After the move, I needed a coupler. I haven't noticed any degradation in the quality. Of course I haven't done any scientific testing :) but I consider my ears the most important tool anyway.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My vote is for RG-6 Quad shield. :) I'm still working off a 500' roll I got at Home Depot. Great solution for signal wiring! I would not worry about length too much for this application. Now if you get over 100', I have no idea!

No problem stringing RCA cables w/coupler IMO, and YES! Location matters.

Gordon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.