AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad to place a sub right next to a computer? It is unshielded and I'm worried the magnet will mess up my hard disk. The manual says to place it 3 feet away from video components susceptible to magnetic fields.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter /forum/post/17018074

Is it bad to place a sub right next to a computer? It is unshielded and I'm worried the magnet will mess up my hard disk. The manual says to place it 3 feet away from video components susceptible to magnetic fields.

It's hard to say. I have my PS3 and Xbox 360 right next to my subwoofer and haven't had any problems with data getting erased. I can't say for sure that you won't have any problems, but my sub has a larger driver and magnet than the subs you're looking at so I'd have to assume you'd be ok. Then again, if the manual is specifically warning against putting the sub too close to electronics that are affected by magnetic fields, it might be best to heed the warning.

Here's a picture of how close my sub is to some of my hard drives (excuse the dirt from the old, dirty camera lens):

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, your enclosure is also bigger so there is more space from the magnet to the side of your enclosure, certainly not 3 feet...

I don't know which is the Xbox and PS3, but the white box isn't right against your sub, but it looks like the black box on the right is.

Let's see if anybody else lives as dangerously?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Just for some clarification, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are both within about 6 inches of the subwoofer. The sub's driver is on the right side of the sub, putting it closer to the PS3. The sub's magnet is within about a foot of the PS3's hard drive. I'd have to assume my sub's big 15" high excursion driver has a larger magnet than the ML Dynamo's smaller 10" woofer. You'll probably be fine, but I understand if you want to wait for more input to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would try to keep the sub a bit further away from the comp than a few feet. I unknowingly had my comp in my drum room. The PC was about three feet away from my bass brum that is 22x20(I love custom sizes
) BUT after my fourth harddrive got installed in the PC, I took the third one apart and saw that the disk was just hammmmmmmered. Seems that every time I would hit the kick, wich is a lot with double pedals, that sound wave would vibrate the HD and jack it all up. Basically it was just like the kicking the HD a couple thousand times a month...over time that is going to lead to some issues. I cant imagine that a sub would be to differenet than my bass drum, although the heads on the drum are a bit larger so that may move a bit more air.....never really tried to comapre the two or run an Audessy on my drum kit.

The reso head is 22" wide and has two 4" ports, just for reference.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I didn't think about the vibrations. Well there is 1.5" clearance between the sub and the PC on the left, but that is putting it right against the bookcase on the right side, which might cause vibrations through the bookcase. If I put it in the middle, there would be 3/4" clearance on either side, still awfully close to the PC.

Option 2 would be to put it in front of the bookcase, but that would kind of block access to the closet on the right side.

Option 3 would be to put it under my desk, but I don't think I'd like feeling the vibrations through my feet all the time and I'd probably have to buy an RCA connector to extend 2 RCA cables to make the run from my receiver in the closet on the right.

Option 4 would be to move my PC back under the desk where my old less than full tower size PC used to be. My current PC case is the big full tower Antec P180 so it would stick out a bit more and I might feel the heat from the multiple fans. Then I'd put the sub to the right of my desk where the PC is now. This looks to be the best option.

Option 5 would be to put the sub to the space to the left of my desk and the wall in front of my other bookcase. This would definitely require connecting multiple RCA cables as the run would be about 15 feet to the receiver in the closet on the right.

I'll try to put in in all positions (at least as far as my longest RCA cable will reach) and see where the best sound is, since that is most important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.