AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mains in my HT room are an older set of NHT VT-3s, which have two 10" powered subs in each tower. Because of room layout limitations, there's only about an 18" space between the left subs and the wall. Based on other comments that I've seen around the forums, its my impression that this close proximity to the wall shouldn't be a major concern for a sub, but I wanted to double check. Any issues or limitations that I should be aware of?

Part two of the question is that the right main/subs have no wall in similar proximity. In fact, the closest wall is about 12' to the right. Is the "imbalance" between the L/R wall proximities something I should be concerned about and/or trying to address?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The right side may have a little less bass output since they are not near a boundry. We all have to work with our rooms.:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's consistent with what I've noticed, though it's not a huge difference. How much "rebalancing" would it be realistic to expect if I dive into good room correction and/or treatments?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If all you have is Auddysee or some other room correction program, that should do most of the necessary corrections for you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Placing your subwoofer near the wall will typically excite the subwoofer making it easier to localize, louder, and boomier. Velodyne has a stand alone guide for subwoofer placement you might check out (https://velodyne.com/pdf/guides/sub_placement_guide_reva.pdf). Often times we are limited in where we can place the subwoofer(s) and must live with the results as the alternative is no subwoofer and that is not acceptable. Experimentation will always yield the best results, room calibration / equalization tools such as Audyssey can help, but they can not solve everything. When it comes to subwoofers, placement within the listening space will always trump equalization.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Rob. Unfortunately, the main limiting factor in sub placement is that the subs are built into the main L/R towers, and placement of the mains takes precedence over that of the subs. I assume that addition of another free-standing sub or two will help even things out a bit in terms of localization, etc., so that may well become the long-term solution. In the mean time, the extra boominess of the wall-bound sub isn't too bad, and I'm hoping that room treatments and equalization - though not a perfect solution - will be a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks, Rob. Unfortunately, the main limiting factor in sub placement is that the subs are built into the main L/R towers, and placement of the mains takes precedence over that of the subs. I assume that addition of another free-standing sub or two will help even things out a bit in terms of localization, etc., so that may well become the long-term solution. In the mean time, the extra boominess of the wall-bound sub isn't too bad, and I'm hoping that room treatments and equalization - though not a perfect solution - will be a step in the right direction.
Sorry I missed that important detail.

I say it all the time...If it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters. Crank it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed! Though I'm just OCD enough that I want to make sure I'm milking as much performance out of my setup as it's capable of producing, so I doubt that the compulsion to always be going from "good" to "better" will pass anytime soon. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts