AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Trying to reduce the audio stuff in the living room. The only thing I am keeping is my JL F113 sealed sub. I want to move the sub to the back of the room (opposite side of the screen). Room is 13x21 (sub will be on 13ft wide side). Sub location to back of sofa is about 7ft.

Attached is the pic. I am thinking of cutting the rest of the drywall below the shelves (extend the rack) and slide the sub in and have the front flush with the wall. The whole rack is a small closet from the bedroom on the other side of the house. Would any sound pressure disturb the wife if she sleeps
. I will cut the hole opening close to the size of the sub. I am assuming its a non issue since it is a sealed sub.

Thanks for your advice.

TT

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng  /t/1521136/sub-placement#post_24443476

I am assuming its a non issue since it is a sealed sub.
It will be a major issue if that location simply doesn't work well. You'd best be well sure of it by taking measurements of its response when placed there before cutting holes in the wall.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1521136/sub-placement#post_24443767

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng  /t/1521136/sub-placement#post_24443476

I am assuming its a non issue since it is a sealed sub.
It will be a major issue if that location simply doesn't work well. You'd best be well sure of it by taking measurements of its response when placed there before cutting holes in the wall.

how do you stick a sub in a hole in the wall and measure its response before cutting the hole in the wall?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Get it very close with the same height and yoi will have an approximation... Should still be a point source when in-wall?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar  /t/1521136/sub-placement#post_24443813

Get it very close with the same height and yoi will have an approximation... Should still be a point source when in-wall?
Aim it at the wall from a foot away and you'll come as close as possible to duplicating how it will work in the wall.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, even if the sub is firing outward to the living room I might have issue? This is a sealed sub.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
you can safely put it in there without adding any unwanted distortion - things rattling you can fix easily enough by securing them. What Bill is warning you about is in relation to 'room modes'. If you aren't sure what those are then research them at your own risk because they aren't something you can 'fix' easily without relocating your sub. There's a saying around here that if your sub looks best in a particular part of the room then there's a good chance its a bad place to put it (avs version of murphy's law).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1521136/sub-placement#post_24444286

you can safely put it in there without adding any unwanted distortion - things rattling you can fix easily enough by securing them. What Bill is warning you about is in relation to 'room modes'. If you aren't sure what those are then research them at your own risk because they aren't something you can 'fix' easily without relocating your sub. There's a saying around here that if your sub looks best in a particular part of the room then there's a good chance its a bad place to put it (avs version of murphy's law).

Got it. After re-reading the posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts