AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to wire for my sub before all the drywall is up. I need to know the best placement for my sub. Right now I have it located behind the Lazy-Boy. Would it be better to have it up front by the screen?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Each and every room is different. I suggest you place connections up front, sides, rear. With that you can move the sub around for the best placement and have a clean look without long cables on the floor.

I did, 2 front, 2 on each side, 2 rear. I have all the options possible.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I love where you have it.....thats where I'd put it!!!

Behind that blue chair with the sub firing towards the front wall, and try it with the sub firing in the direction behind the couch. You'll be able to tell which direction is better......I'd even tuck it MORE in that corner too.....like 3inches from the back and side wall...

This option is also much closer to where you are sitting, so the bass effect (shaking) will be better and I myself prefer that type of effect!!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmclone /forum/post/0

Would it be better to have it up front by the screen?

I think so. When I bought my Carver Sunfire a few years ago, I tried a variety of places. Then I looked in the manual
and it said to put it in one of the front corners. Bingo, that was clearly the best place. More recently I got an SVS PB12-Ultra/2 subwoofer and noticed that its manual also said a front corner is best. By then I didn't even need to experiment. I put it there and it's even more fabulous than the Sunfire.

That said, a front corner is clearly the loudest location, but it won't be the flattest unless you have a fair number of bass traps. Loud works for me
but I also have 40 traps in my living room home theater and they reduce the problems (peaks, ringing) you get with corner placement.

The only way to know for sure which place is best is to measure the response. But you need to measure to a high resolution such as 1 Hz intervals. This can be time consuming because moving the sub even an inch or two can make a real difference. So you end up measuring, moving, measuring, moving, and so forth for the better part of an evening.

One useful method is to put the subwoofer at the listening position on a chair, then play some bass-heavy music and crawl around on the floor listening for where the bass is the most even. Once you find the best place by ear, put the subwoofer there. One problem with this is the key of the music affects what you hear. If the music has tones that align with the room's modes, then this method can work pretty well. But if the music is in a key that doesn't excite the room modes, then other music that does excite the modes may sound unbalanced. One solution is to use pink noise instead of music. But again, the only way to know for sure where the low frequency response is flattest is to measure.

I hope this helps.

--Ethan

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone. I'll probably just run two separate wires in case I change my mind after experimenting.

I need a new sub in a bad way but it's about 5th on my importance list. I currently have some old Yamaha YST-SW315 that's not very good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.