AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large room say 5000 cf. I can place a small sub (15x15x15) up front in the right corner and I also have room in the back corner for a larger sub (22x22x22). Would it make sense to buy 2 smaller subs and put them in the front and rear. I am thinking about 2 Velodyne's SPL-1200R's. Or would I be better off buying one larger sub (DD-15) and put it in the rear. I have two concerns

two subs front and back might work against each other,

and I will be able to localize a single rear sub.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'd say the 1 DD-15. It's a better sub. Also dual subs can cause cancellation problems.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
As far as localization use a low crossover point.

Also, with dual subs ran off a split LFE input, you need to have the subs the same distance from sweetspot. You only have 1 distance setting, so 1 will be off.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
although dual subs are more difficult to set up properly, if done correctly they can minimize unwanted room induced peaks and nulls. It depends on whether or not you want to work at it or have a simple solution. The nice thing about the DD15 is the auto eq will make things easier.

Although the DD15 is a nice sub, that room is pretty good size so the 18 might be better, it depends on how loud you listen and if you want the headroom.

Have you ever had other subs in these locations to see how they behave in these locations?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I won't be able to move the subs around to get them just right. I have one place in front and one in the rear. The rear subs would be closer than the front sub so it sounds that i would be better off with one sub. When listening to a good audio system with excellent bass. You can feel the bass impact hitting your chest. Will a rear sub have the same impact or will I feel the impact against my back.

I have had smaller subs in the front and rear, but they were just plug and play and they sounded fine. I would like a DD-18 but they are a little too large to get the go ahead from my wife.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have a SVS PB12 Ultra/2 rear corner mounted. Being that I'm used to rear mounted subs from my car audio days, it doesn't bother me.

I used to have my sub in the front corner, about 12 ft away (vs. 3 ft. of current). It both vibrates the furniture more, but pounds my chest more too.

Might I suggest 1 or 2(stacked in rear corner) of the sub I have. You can get 2 for $4k, delivered. 1 would compare to the DD-18, but much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
then the DD 15 might be your best bet although I might consider Paradigm Servo v.2 and SVS PB Ultra/2 for more output and less money even after buying an ouboard eq.

When I've had subs in the back of the room I felt localization wasn't much of an issue unless it's pretty close. Localization was non existent and modes were decreased when I used full range towers up front running large so that

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
I have a SVS PB12 Ultra/2 rear corner mounted. Being that I'm used to rear mounted subs from my car audio days, it doesn't bother me.

I used to have my sub in the front corner, about 12 ft away (vs. 3 ft. of current). It both vibrates the furniture more, but pounds my chest more too.

Might I suggest 1 or 2(stacked in rear corner) of the sub I have. You can get 2 for $4k, delivered. 1 would compare to the DD-18, but much cheaper.
I'm sure a stack of Ultra/2 would produce awesome bass but I don't have the space for one. SVS just makes there subs a little too large.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod
then the DD 15 might be your best bet although I might consider Paradigm Servo v.2 and SVS PB Ultra/2 for more output and less money even after buying an ouboard eq.

When I've had subs in the back of the room I felt localization wasn't much of an issue unless it's pretty close. Localization was non existent and modes were decreased when I used full range towers up front running large so that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.