AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished making my first DIY subwoofer. It is a Dayton Titanic 15in and a Dayton 1000w plate amp, but when I want to turn the amp on or off the sub jumps forward and a loud pop occurs, how do I fix this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pretty sure that's normal with Dayton Amps. Other than turning the gain all the way down before you turn it back on, I don't think you can stop it. Why not just leave it on?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
There IS a way to solve this, but you may not like the solution.

You need to wire a switch on one of the output leads and expose it on the outside of the sub, flip it to off, power it on, flip it on; problem solved.

Trying the gain thing might also work. Remind me to never buy a Dayton amp...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. I usually do turn the gain all the way down before I shut it off. But I'm alright with the noise as long as it doesn't damage my subwoofer, does it?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Why not just leave it in auto setting? 

Bottom line IMO, Its not "good" for the sub to pop like that...  Having said that, the titanic is a very well built driver and prob wont be affected.  Leaving it "on" or in "auto" would be better for the sub.

Contact Dayton and see if this is normal operation, most well built subs have soft start circuits which limit or eliminate this.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi  /t/1418596/sub-popping-noise#post_22192333

Why not just leave it in auto setting? 

Bottom line IMO, Its not "good" for the sub to pop like that...  Having said that, the titanic is a very well built driver and prob wont be affected.  Leaving it "on" or in "auto" would be better for the sub.

Contact Dayton and see if this is normal operation, most well built subs have soft start circuits which limit or eliminate this.....

The thing is that it gets moved around a lot, its part of a setup for our swim team parties, its kind of like a DJ stand, and i gets turned on, off, and unplugged a lot. Because it is always moving house to house.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleful  /t/1418596/sub-popping-noise#post_22192867

Ahh ok, that makes sense. Yeah, I would do as Nick suggested and contact Dayton to see if they have a solution.

OK. That's what I'll do, thanks!

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
It's not going to do anything bad, don't worry about it. I had the same amp and the same driver, the thump is annoying but no damage is going to come from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts