AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering some odd sub construction for a living room style home theater. The plan is not to have more than three speakers (center, front R/L) sitting out in the room. The surround sound speakers (rear R/L side R/L) are already in the wall.

For the sub I consider a band pass design (similar to the type of subs that live in people's cars). The band pass sub would be located in a "room" under the staircase - sonically only connected by the reflex port to the living room. For the subwoofer cabinet construction I found a software aiding in the design.

As a speaker I was considering a dual voice coil design, which would allow powering the sub using an old stereo power amp (existing) rather than buying a sub amp or a bridgeable amp.

In order to feed the mono sub signal from the AVR to the power amp I would need some sort of adapter. I was wondering if I could just Y the signal - basically splitting the mono signal from the AVR and feeding it to the right and left channel of the stereo power amp?

Anything else that I should keep in mind?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Does your amp have gain controls? If so, you may want to consider bridging into mono and then parallelling the VC's. Reason being is that if the amp has gain controls and they aren't matched, you can end up with an imbalance in the voice coils with different levels from the channels. If the amp is fixed gain and the gain levels are matched, no worries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.