AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a HT center and need some advice. So far, a Sammy 61" DLP has been ordered and a pair of Paradigm SA-35 in-walls for the mains. OK, don't kill me. I like in-walls. Out of sight, out of mind. Plus. aesthetics are big with me so I'll sacrifice. Now, what butt-kicking (though the missus despises subs but there's always upstairs) clean subs should I consider with the Paradigms? I've read tons of positives of the SVS PB2+ and Veloydyne for the bang for the buck crowd. I have an M&K sub upstairs but it's tweaked so low for my other half that it's pretty much crippled.

Advice appeciated.

Thanks

Dom

P.S. Go with a preamp/amp (I have Carver upstairs) or receiver? Denon?

·
Registered
663 Posts
i don't think having inwalls or not should make a big difference in your subwoofer choice.

i'm confused by your post - you mention a sub with a decent sized footprint, and say that aesthetics are important and your wife doesn't like subs. this contradictory information makes it hard to give a relevant opinion.

if money and space are no object, why wouldn't you go with separates?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well, if looks matter, how about a HSU VTF-3R (rosewood finish)? I rather like my dual HSU TN1220HO subs, but some people don't like the looks of 51" tall 12" diameter subs... Of course, you could always lay them down... :D

Sorny

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right 9volt. After reviewing my post it was contradictory. Aesthetics are paramount, the reason for the in-walls fabricated into the entertainment shrine. The sub will have to come out into the open to have any real effect so a small, black unobtrusive box would be fine and I did see the redwood SVS. Ohmigosh! But it is big.

So any recommendations in the $500-$1000 range for the smaller, black box subwoofer? The SVS redwood is the choice for larger, furniture-like subs.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Dom

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominus
You're right 9volt. After reviewing my post it was contradictory. Aesthetics are paramount, the reason for the in-walls fabricated into the entertainment shrine. The sub will have to come out into the open to have any real effect so a small, black unobtrusive box would be fine and I did see the redwood SVS. Ohmigosh! But it is big.

So any recommendations in the $500-$1000 range for the smaller, black box subwoofer? The SVS redwood is the choice for larger, furniture-like subs.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Dom
I meant HSU redwood.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
$500-$1000 price rage... I'd say a HSU VTF-3 or VTF-3R. Neither is very small, but not huge either. Give them a shot, free shippping and 30 day in-home demo. The VTF-3 in black is considerably less expensive than the Rosewood finish. Or, you could wait about a month and get a STF-3 (which will be ~$610 and 22Hz tune, very comparable to SVS BP1).

**I've not acutally heard the VTF-3 or VTF-3R, but Dr. HSU says they are nearly identical in sound when compared to my TN1220HO subs, and if that is the case, they are quite excellent indeed. SVS makes a few box subs as well, again, I've not heard them, but they are highly regarded and might also be worth a listen. IIRC, SVS has 45 day in-home trial, but no free shipping.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Dominus, if you are looking for really small sub, like 11" cube, shoot me a PM and we can talk about a Sunfire MKIV sub... :D

Sorny

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, the svs is a monster. Very low WAF. Very highly recommended though. To get a more acceptable sub you can go sunfire or velodyne. Either will blow your budget to match the svs though.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Sorny, the STF-3 is actually said to be very comparable to the VTF-3 in maximum output mode. The VTF-3 has been tested to have virtually flat frequency response down to 20Hz, even in maximum output mode! Things will also be interesting between the STF-2 and VTF-2, etc.

To the original poster, keep in mind that the upcoming STF-2 from Hsu, and especially the STF-1, will be smaller sized and lower priced than the STF-3. I think they will go for about $440 and $330 each, respectively (and the STF-3 will go for about $610). Most likely their new products will have free shipping too (considering that all of their products available now have free shipping).

The dimensions are (Height x Width x Depth):

STF-1: 19" x 10" x 15.63''

STF-2: 19" x 14" x 17.63"

STF-3: 22" x 15" x 22.63"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.