AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One issue I have found in my setup now is that my sub is rattling my siding. It’s the typical contemporary "hearty plank" siding that’s supposed to be like a wood cement blend?

The sub sits 8 feet from that wall and that wall is not only double sheet rocked but double walled with not only 2 layers of r19 in each wall, a few inches of air and 2 inches of Styrofoam that I added. Add whatever the standard stuff is on the outside of the house under the siding (ply wood for sure).

When I go out to the side of my house I can’t hear it but I can feel it and there’s all kinds of rattles squeaking from the siding.

I do plan on putting 4 large acoustic panels on that wall of 4" thinkness, think that will help?

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/12992892

Are you complaining or bragging?

I want to fix it, I’m thinking the rattling could be loosening the nails and such. This wall is the one behind my screen. I don’t want to get extreme like covering the wall with the duct liner or such. I think that kind of thing is beyond my own DIY kind of thing.

Has to be a problem with others who have subs that blow mine away.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/12992892

Are you complaining or bragging?

LOL...now that is funny!

·
Registered
556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/12992854

I do plan on putting 4 large acoustic panels on that wall of 4" thinkness, think that will help?

More than that, it will help if you can place your sub on a rigid surface to avoid movement of vibrations. I have my SVS sub placed on a platform that is filled with sand.

Or you can place your sub on amplifier floor stands to avoid the rattlings as they are not good for house over long haul.

·
Registered
165 Posts
same thing happened to mine, i built a platform filled with sand and carpeted. Problem solved and it's a huge improvement with the bass, alot tighter and no rattling noise

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
You could also try a "Sub Dude" first and see it that does it, cheaper and easier than the stage and sand route, and if you need to do more you can still use it on the stage and sand. LOL

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits /forum/post/12994595

More than that, it will help if you can place your sub on a rigid surface to avoid movement of vibrations. I have my SVS sub placed on a platform that is filled with sand.

Or you can place your sub on amplifier floor stands to avoid the rattlings as they are not good for house over long haul.

My basement floor is concrete with a small pad and pretty thin Berber carpet. Do you think a platform with sand will still help?

·
Registered
556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/12999564

My basement floor is concrete with a small pad and pretty thin Berber carpet. Do you think a platform with sand will still help?

I think it will help as sand/carpet is going to absorb/reduce the vibrations that can go to your walls or floor. Or you should check out the "Sub Dude" mentioned above by McCall.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I presume you added the rigid foam as thermal insulation - it is poor structural and acoustic isolation material. When building a double wall - you only need the usual batts in each half - overstuffing and adding layers makes it worse not better.

But it is what it is - so you need to focus on making sure no structural sub vibrations are coupling into the walls or floor. If it is acoustical subwoofage getting into the walls - then you need to lessen the subwoofage. That is a good thing not a bad thing - you want to hear a clean tight sub not a boomy resonant sub.

There is no 4" wall surface material that does anything for subwoofage - that is for your bass woofers.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I may try the sub dude thing. I am sure I am rocking my house hard. Thick carpet pad, thin-ish carpet, on concrete flooor which is coupled to the foundation.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
+ 1

That sub dude looks like a much more simple solution than to what I was thinking of having built. Anyone know how tall it is? I have about 7 1/2 " until the bottom of my screen and sub+center channel would begin to be in the way of my screens frame, not counting the center channel stand which I have still not found.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts