AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a system around some Klipsch RF 52II's. My room is 14x19 with a 13' ceiling (about 3500 cuft). It is somewhat open concept. The room is carpet over a slab floor. It will mostly be used for TV/movies and some music. I am considering Def Tec ProSub 800, klipsch SW 110, Klipsch R 10SW, Polk DSW 440, and Sunfire SDS 8.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Consider the Premier Acoustics PA-150. It's a big subwoofer with a lot of output above 40 Hz (not bad down to 30 Hz) and should do a good job filling that volume. Make an offer on the Premier Acoustics site (some have gotten this sub for under $400, and a few at around $350).

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
You won't get anything for home theater that will really be impressive in that size of room for $500. Best you can do if you want a home theater sub that will hit 20Hz is the SVS PB1000, but that sub is a bit small for your space. Monday, frys.com is having the Klipsch sub-12 on sale for $199.99. Two of those would work to fill the space, but do note that like the PA-150, it's not going to deliver anything worth noting at 20Hz.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have listed those subs because I a familiar with those brands as far as having a good reputation. They are also listed on crutchfield, where I shop mostly. Also it looks like the RF-52's may not happen as they are really scarce to find in black. I may go with the RF-42's. The 62's would be great but I worry about the physical size being too big for wife approval. Anyway I want solid bass but am not expecting to shake the house. It just needs to sound full and deep. Crutchfield is suggesting the Def Tec as of now. I will look up that klipsch at frys also.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I have listed those subs because I a familiar with those brands as far as having a good reputation. They are also listed on crutchfield, where I shop mostly. Also it looks like the RF-52's may not happen as they are really scarce to find in black. I may go with the RF-42's. The 62's would be great but I worry about the physical size being too big for wife approval. Anyway I want solid bass but am not expecting to shake the house. It just needs to sound full and deep. Crutchfield is suggesting the Def Tec as of now. I will look up that klipsch at frys also.
As much as I like Crutchfield the low end subs they sell are not worth the money.

If you have to get it from Crutchfield the Klipsch R-115SW at $900 is the least expensive sub they sell that I would consider.

Like the others have said, the PA-150 or SVS PB1000 are your best choices in your budget.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,853 Posts
How about dual Dayton Sub-1500's? A recent forum member went this route when he realized that even dual $8-$900 ID subs left him underwhelmed in his large space. For under $400, it was not quite as good, but remarkably good for the money spent.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
How about dual Dayton Sub-1500's? A recent forum member went this route when he realized that even dual $8-$900 ID subs left him underwhelmed in his large space. For under $400, it was not quite as good, but remarkably good for the money spent.
Interesting,
Can you point to the link describing the dual Dayton Sub-1500's?
Thanks.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Most of those you listed have no real reputations for subwoofers, Sunfire probably has the best claim (and that was in the past). If the speakers are too large then a sub may be also? I like the SVS, PA & dual Dayton suggestions more than anything on your list.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
For the same money, I would take the Klipsch sub12 over the Dayton sub-1500 every time. Double the power and the klipsch uses a BASH amp, which are also used by HSU and PSA. I've owned both and it's not even really a close call. Klipsch is on sale tomorrow and Amazon will likely price match the $199.99.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts