AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to spend less than $500 to get a good subwoofer for the home theatre. Will be 90% for Movies/TV, 10% for music.

I have been looking at all of the direct shipping brands (hsu, elemental, svs, etc.) but seem to be going around in circles. If it came down to it, I would rather have very true sound than be knocking paintings off of the walls.

The room it's in is a pretty large basement, 23x17x7, but I anticipate using a smaller room in the future.

Thanks for all the help guys!

(btw, mains are AV123 X-omni (top firing woofer) and X-CS center channel, plus some rears which don't do much)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You can trust those numbers if you want...but I wouldn't. I have had two 15's in a 2500 sq ft roo and you could feel it but it wasnt rattling the walls. One 12 in my opinion isn't going to get the job done with that amount of power. I would recommend either larger driver, more power, or multiples. That is just to keep the upgrade bug away for a little while. It's no fun when you buy Something new and you want to upgrade again in a few months.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrec Barrwin /forum/post/0

"Loudness level 3: Best for rooms up to 4500 cubic ft."

His room is 2737 c.ft.

I personally have found those numbers are pretty accurate. The Op could start with one (which I think will be enough) and if its not enough for his personal taste, upgrade to duals in the future.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownaphobia /forum/post/0

I personally have found those numbers are pretty accurate. The Op could start with one (which I think will be enough) and if its not enough for his personal taste, upgrade to duals in the future.

We obviously have different tastes in the amount of bass we prefer. I say my

Piece because he plans on using this sub for 90% movies...movies require a more dynamic deeper bass than music does. Just my opinion. I would love to hear the OP's thoughts when he purchases.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20774631

You can trust those numbers if you want...but I wouldn't. I have had two 15's in a 2500 sq ft roo and you could feel it but it wasnt rattling the walls. One 12 in my opinion isn't going to get the job done with that amount of power. I would recommend either larger driver, more power, or multiples. That is just to keep the upgrade bug away for a little while. It's no fun when you buy Something new and you want to upgrade again in a few months.

What were your "two 15's" in your "2500 sq ft roo"?

Btw, what's a roo? They must be large, to be about 50 feet square.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:

Huh? I have an STF-2 (10" driver) in my 1800 cu.ft. room and it pounds hard in movies.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
At $500 what you will find is:

- some people have bought Hsu, are happy and say "Hsu is the best!"

- some people have bought eD, are happy and say "eD is the best!"

- some people have bought SVS, are happy and say "SVS is the best!"

- some people have bought CHT, are happy and say "CHT is the best!"

- get the idea

Any of the "standard" brands at that price will get you a nice sub for HT and music comparable to the others. If you find a sale great, get better value; if not, choose on looks that match your room.

Your best bargain will be to find someone selling a lightly used $800 sub for $500 because they decided they "need" a $1500 sub.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:

The size of the driver/wattage of the amp aren't the only things that matter.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/0

I am curious about the 15's you had and if they were working properly. I am not trying to argue...I sell and install Ultra High end gear for a living and will tell you that in our showroom (JBL Synth) setup that includes dual 15's you can barely breathe they hit so hard. I have dual Hsu Stf-2's in my 2800 cu. Ft theater room (i used to run 3 of them) and they hit hard and clean! As a point of reference I also have 2 kicker solobaric L7 12's (they hit 156 db's) in my truck so I know hard hitting bass. Once again, im not trying to argue...just interested in knowing what 15's you were using and if they were indeed running properly

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20774965

At $500 what you will find is:

- some people have bought Hsu, are happy and say "Hsu is the best!"

- some people have bought eD, are happy and say "eD is the best!"

- some people have bought SVS, are happy and say "SVS is the best!"

- some people have bought CHT, are happy and say "CHT is the best!"

- get the idea

Any of the "standard" brands at that price will get you a nice sub for HT and music comparable to the others. If you find a sale great, get better value; if not, choose on looks that match your room.

Your best bargain will be to find someone selling a lightly used $800 sub for $500 because they decided they "need" a $1500 sub.

Great post! Love the ending! So true!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.