AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Polk Audio PSW10 but found it didnt get loud enough. For $500 Canadian, what sub, or two subs, should I get for a rap music system?

·
Premium Member
10,607 Posts
The PSW10 has very limited capability as a subwoofer. If you were in the U.S., the Monoprice Monolith 10" and SVS PB-1000 would be no-brainer choices. Up here, it's not so easy. Personally, I'd increase the budget and get an SVS PB-1000 from electronicsforless.ca or sonicboomaudio.com, authorized SVS dealers. The current price seems to be $699 + HST (shipping incl.).

-- Edit -=-
Alternatively, you could look at subs such as:
- BIC RtR EV1200 (~$470, shipped, at amazon.ca)
- BIC F12 (~$326, shipped, at amazon.ca)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
pretty hard to get anything decent in the $500 Canadian range,,, hopefully you can bump up your budget a bit. Performance wise the Monolith 10" would be a great sub for your music choice in the $800 or less range. A RSL Speedwoofer 10" would be about $600/$650 Canadian landed and its a good performing sub for music but will not dig as deep as the Monolith or SVS PB1000. It will however play strong into the upper 20's Hz depending on room/set up.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretty hard to get anything decent in the $500 Canadian range,,, hopefully you can bump up your budget a bit. Performance wise the Monolith 10" would be a great sub for your music choice in the $800 or less range. A RSL Speedwoofer 10" would be about $600/$650 Canadian landed and its a good performing sub for music but will not dig as deep as the Monolith or SVS PB1000. It will however play strong into the upper 20's Hz depending on room/set up.
So, I got a quote from RSL for the Speedwoofer, and its $94 to ship to Canada. All in all, I could get either the RSL or the SVS PB1000 for the same price at $700 Canadian. Which do I get?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
From what ive read, the Speedwoofer will be more articulate/punchy for music, but the SVS will dig much deeper. The SVS (if there are any problems) would likely be the easier rout to rectify as you would be buying from Electronicsforless in Canada and not dealing with boarder issues after the purchase.

·
Registered
730 Posts
How would a Polk HTS 12 perform do you think?
I have a Polk HTS 10 that I bought used, been operating it for a few weeks now. in the library sub-section of an open plan three room area. TheIt does a very good job for the price is my subjective impression. It's getting down into the mid 20's in-room.

The HTS12 is a bigger driver, so you'll get even more sound power and go down a bit deeper closer to 20Hz real in-room response.

Obviously if you have the budget a ported SVS is probably going to be the ideal, but on a limited budget, I wouldn't hesitate if you have a good deal on the Polk HTS12. And if you can go used and find two of these, that's going to give you a smoother response overall than any single sub solution.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a Polk HTS 10 that I bought used, been operating it for a few weeks now. in the library sub-section of an open plan three room area. TheIt does a very good job for the price is my subjective impression. It's getting down into the mid 20's in-room.

The HTS12 is a bigger driver, so you'll get even more sound power and go down a bit deeper closer to 20Hz real in-room response.

Obviously if you have the budget a ported SVS is probably going to be the ideal, but on a limited budget, I wouldn't hesitate if you have a good deal on the Polk HTS12. And if you can go used and find two of these, that's going to give you a smoother response overall than any single sub solution.
I suspect SVS is going to be announcing a "PB-1000 Pro" model shortly so you may want to wait a bit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I suspect SVS is going to be announcing a "PB-1000 Pro" model shortly so you may want to wait a bit.
If you're on a limited budget "pro" means they want more money. The channels will be reducing prices on existing models now, to get the stock levels down. So now's a good time to buy if new. But used market is ideal when you dont have cash to throw at this hobby.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is a PL200 BIC sub for sale in Brampton on FB Marketplace right now, asking $450.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Read the budget sub-woofer thread for starters. Its a budget sub with budget performance. Its not anything close to what you have been looking at.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Read the budget sub-woofer thread for starters. Its a budget sub with budget performance. Its not anything close to what you have been looking at.
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion as I was unaware of that thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts