AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving and I'm taking opportunity to upgrade my equipment since the new space is way larger.
  • Speakers: 3.1 setup with Definitive Tech BP-8060ST
  • Living room is 2300 cubic feet + 800 cubic feet of hallway + 800 cubic feet for open kitchen. So total is about 3900 cubic feet. Layout is at the end.
  • Looking for subwoofer recommendations $850 or less
  • 80% movies, 20% music.
  • Future child on the way, and since I'm planning on keeping sub for a long time, I'm worried about the grill coming off for easy access to sub destroying, however, I'll be in a condo with concrete floors so think a downfiring sub may be worse for my neighbors?

Not sure whether ported or sealed is better for me, but based on my limited research, a ported looks best.

Options I've looked at that I want your help deciding (or adding something I'm missing):
    • Rythmik LV12R - $599
    • Hsu VTF-3 MK4 - $669 on sale
    • PSA XV15 - $799
    • SVS PB-2000 - $799
    • SVS PB12-NSD - $599 outlet

These 2 are overbudget slightly but if they were that much better for my space, I could go slightly over:
    • Hsu VTF-15H - $879 (dear god, this one looks massive!)
    • Rythmik F12 - $874

Other question:

Not sure how the location of the port affects me. Some are rear ported like the XV15. Does that hurt me if it's likely being placed in a corner like shown in my room diagram?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850/0_80#post_24501400

You may will need two subs.

Fixed.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850#post_24501400

You may need two subs.

No way I can fit 2 subs.. wife won't allow it

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850/0_80#post_24501416

No way I can fit 2 subs.. wife won't allow it until I grovel for a few weeks

Also fixed.

Reactions: 1MediaGuy

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The VTF15h is a very large sub, and as such, has a pretty steep shipping charge on it, which looks like that would put it over your budget worse that you would imagine. If it weren't for that, it would be a no-brainer, get the VTF15h.

The Rythmik F12 would not be sufficient in that room. Very high sound quality, but not an output monster, it would be swallowed up in that space and wouldn't work. The LV12r is a good sub, but you can do better on an $850 budget. The VTF3 is a big'un, and has a $100 shipping charge on it. Very good sub, just be aware of the shipping. It would be able to handle that space. If it were only $669 shipped, that would be a no-brainer at that price as well. The PB2000 is sure to be good. I hate the driver in the XV15, but a down-firing sub might make more sense for you with a child on the way. The PB12-NSD is at a terrific price right now in the outlet section, that is a lot of performance for the price. Very good deep bass performance on that one, although not a whole lot of upper bass with respect to any of these other subs. One other sub you might consider is the Reaction BPS 215 , $880 shipped. Reaction is a new company, and the specs on that thing look killer for the price. You might also consider the Reaction dual BPS 212 Turbo set up for $900 shipped, that is a 4 x 12" system that is bound to sound very good. That looks like some very high bang for the buck. You can talk to the owner here in the Reaction thread if you have any concerns about Reaction being such a new outfit. One more thing, the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus is on a B-stock sale right now, $500 shipped, that is a very powerful sub at that price. Two would set you back $1k but would be hard to beat as a system, and have some very serious advantages over any of the single sub setups.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

Quote:
... 3900 cubic feet ... Looking for subwoofer recommendations $850 or less ... These 2 are overbudget slightly but if they were that much better for my space, I could go slightly over:

Hsu VTF-15H - $879 ...
... +$143 shipping. But if you can swing it, do it.

Else, the XV15.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850#post_24501416

Tell her you need another sub on the other side of the fireplace....for the sake of keeping symmetry in the room.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
For kid and pet friendly subs I really don't think you can beat the Outlaws with the downfiring sub and downfiring ports and the inlaid smoke plexiglass on the top.(I have dual Plus's). Plus my wife likes that they don't even look like speakers, at our old house we used to have 1 up front and 1 used as an end table and it worked great and looked great. If you could convince your wife of dual subs, duals are the way to go. There are better subs than the Outlaws but they are still good, but for some reason I really have my eyes on the SVS PB2000.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850#post_24501416

One thing Iv learned about wives. if your loyal. they aint going no where!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850#post_24502855

One thing Iv learned about wives. if your loyal. they aint going no where!!

I have learned they cost money

·
Registered
949 Posts
Just keep chipping away...I am working on getting my third sub now...almost got her convinced

+1 on the duals in that room, you will have a hard time getting good bass across multiple positions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The combined cubic foot of our living room, with the adjoining dining/kitchen, is about 4000 cubic ft. I ended up going with a single psa xv15, and its performing great!

Most likely you'll be happy with whatever one u choose, but will say i enjoy the xv15 for all types of media! It provides plenty of couch & wall shaking, and pressurizing effect in our current setup. Would i like another sure, but currently looking to replace an aging avr...

Good Luck!

Reactions: bobby_t1

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamweiser  /t/1523235/sub-recommendation-for-3900-cubic-foot-room-budget-under-850#post_24506858

The combined cubic foot of our living room, with the adjoining dining/kitchen, is about 4000 cubic ft. I ended up going with a single psa xv15, and its performing great!

Most likely you'll be happy with whatever one u choose, but will say i enjoy the xv15 for all types of media! It provides plenty of couch & wall shaking, and pressurizing effect in our current setup. Would i like another sure, but currently looking to replace an aging avr...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the recommendation and your first hand account. It's refereshing to hear that someone is satisfied with a single sub and not recommending dual and triple sub setups

To everyone else:

Thanks for your advice so far. I didn't realize how steep the shipping charges are on these things... I guess I'm spoiled from my Amazon prime membership! I am still deciding between subs, but are my initial thoughts to the comments so far:
  • Hsu VTF-15H: I originally proposed it as an option, but it'll be too expensive and I didn't realize how freakin' big it was.
  • two or three subs: There's no chance

I'm narrowing the list further down to:
  • PSA XV15 -- Thanks to Jamweiser for the affirmation it works for his 4000 cubic ft space.
  • Outlaw LFM-1 Plus - $499 shipped seems like a screaming deal. Also, this is narrower than all the other subs at 15" wide, so makes it more flexible for positioning next to my sofa.
  • Reaction Audio BPS-215 or BPS-212-- never heard of this manufacturer, but intriguing since it has dual 12s/15s. Quick read of the owner's thread and it seems quite a few people want a ported version stating it's better for HT. I'm also not sure of the tradeoffs of dual subs (2 subs in single enclosure).
  • Hsu VTF-3 MK4 -- seems to keep getting rave reviews
  • SVS PB-2000 -- everyone seems to be intrigued by this sub, which is intriguing me

The other update is that I *might* be able to fit the sub in an alternate position to the right of my couch and use it as an end table depending if my measurements are right. Basic question here: Won't the base shake whatever is on it?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If price is an issue the LFM-1 Plus @ $499 if that includes free shipping is the best sub for $500. But yes the PB2000 is very interesting and sounds like the accuracy/depth winner at $800 shipped.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Refer back to post 2...that will get you back down to 3 subs to choose from. The LFM-1 plus while is a great deal at 499.00 is not going to be at the level of the 3 subs I mentioned. If you had a 500.00 budget yes I would say go for it, but if your budget is 850.00 then look elsewhere. I would look past the Reaction Audio stuff until some reviews and third party measurements come in. The big ID companies have the price vs performance ratio dialed in. I do not see how bringing a cheaper sub to the table is going to offer any performance advantages over what is currently out there. Wood is

at a all time high and sourcing driver magnets has been a difficult task which is causing sub prices to increase. So something has to give to offer a sub at a lower price then the competition unless your not doing it to make money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts