AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to HT and in Sept 2010 bought my first true HT speaker system...I went with the Aperion 5T towers, 5C center and 4BP surrounds...I purposely left off the sub because I live in an apartment and I'm worried about bass disturbing the neighbors...and if I had to turn the bass down too much it would almost seem pointmless to buy it in the first place...I love the sound of my system as is but am wondering how much better it could sound with a dedicated sub


anyone have any recommendations for a decent (doesn't need to be mind blowing) sub which will work in my setting?...I don't need room shaking, window breaking type of bass but just enough to enhance my Blu-ray and HDTV watching
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
You didn't mention your budget but the BIC F12 seems to be a popular entry-level sub and would probably be a good addition to your current setup. It's available for ~$185 from Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 /forum/post/20870672


You didn't mention your budget but the BIC F12 seems to be a popular entry-level sub and would probably be a good addition to your current setup. It's available for ~$185 from Amazon.

budget is probably around $600, but willing to pay more for a really good product...thanks, will look into the BIC F12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20870687


budget is probably around $600, but willing to pay more for a really good product...thanks, will look into the BIC F12

With that type of budget, you can definitely get a better sub. You may want to look at the offerings from Outlaw, HSU and SVS. The BIC PL200 is also a good option at a slightly lower price-point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 /forum/post/20870776


With that type of budget, you can definitely get a better sub. You may want to look at the offerings from Outlaw, HSU and SVS. The BIC PL200 is also a good option at a slightly lower price-point.

I hear a lot of good things about HSU...but there are so many options and configurations thats hard to know which one would work best for my needs...down firing vs front firing, size, ported etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20870787


I hear a lot of good things about HSU...but there are so many options and configurations thats hard to know which one would work best for my needs...down firing vs front firing, size, ported etc

I know the feeling! There are so many choices out there and it is difficult to settle on one product. I'm in the process of purchasing a sub as well. I've kind of settled on the Outlaw LFM1+ but am waiting for their next sale to get a good deal.


Since you're in an apartment, you may be better off with a front-firing sub unless you are in a groundfloor apartment. I would also look at purchasing a sub-riser like the Auralex SubDude or Gramma to minimize disturbance to your neighbors. I'm in a townhouse too so this is also a concern for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more important then the price is that I want a sub that will not cause me to get evicted



I just want a decent sub that will give me decent bass compared to what I have now where the front towers are handling it...I don't need it to sound like THX headquarters...just want good price/performance in an apartment friendly package...will definitely check out the subs you guys mentioned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 /forum/post/20870951


I'd take a look at Emotiva Ultra 12: it's small and while output is strong in the 80-40Hz range, it rolls off fairly quickly after that.

looking at reviews online this could be just what I'm looking for...is the Emotiva Ultra 12 OK for an apartment?...only thing I'm worried about with it is that for movies it might not be so good due to only having strong output in the 80-40Hz range


the other one I'm seriously looking at is the Epik Legend which putox1051 mentioned...which of those 2 is the best sub for my situation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,335 Posts
Mostly used for video -unless you plan to move to a single dwelling in the next few years save your money and go with one of the BICs. Wanna know why? Do searches for: sub complaints apartment.
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,934 Posts
The Ultra 12 can do a little better then 40Hz, so you will get some punch out of it. But from what I'm reading you seem to have contradicting wants; you want something that will kick, but you don't want your neighbors to be disturbed (which is admirable, BTW).


Even if you get an isolation pad you're still going to be sending low frequency waves in the direction of your neighbors. Depending upon where they live (above, below, etc), and how loud you watch TV, will determine how much they are affected. It could be a little, could be more then a little.


I guess it would be better to decide what you're highest priority is, and then go from there. Want a killer sub? Want to have happy neighbors? I'm not sure you can really get both, unless your walls and floor are pretty thick. Well, I suppose you could invite your neighbors over for movie night, which means you can get both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane /forum/post/20875495


Mostly used for video -unless you plan to move to a single dwelling in the next few years save your money and go with one of the BICs. Wanna know why? Do searches for: sub complaints apartment.

my main priority is movie and HDTV watching with some music thrown in...but the majority is for movies...the more I read about the Epik and Ultra 12 the more I see you're right...way too powerful for my needs...one review of the Epik Legend had the guy saying his house was shaking...definitely not what I'm looking for


thanks for the BIC info...they seem to be getting a lot of excellent reviews and rank pretty high on a lot of lists...this might be my best option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20875725


How big is your room?

around 20 ft length by 12 feet width...but it's not a closed space...it opens up into a kitchen and hallway in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20875766


But from what I'm reading you seem to have contradicting wants; you want something that will kick, but you don't want your neighbors to be disturbed (which is admirable, BTW).


Even if you get an isolation pad you're still going to be sending low frequency waves in the direction of your neighbors. Depending upon where they live (above, below, etc), and how loud you watch TV, will determine how much they are affected. It could be a little, could be more then a little.


I guess it would be better to decide what you're highest priority is, and then go from there. Want a killer sub? Want to have happy neighbors? I'm not sure you can really get both, unless your walls and floor are pretty thick. Well, I suppose you could invite your neighbors over for movie night, which means you can get both.

you're right...my main priority by far is to not disturb my neighbors...they live both above, below and directly behind the main wall where the speakers currently are...I'm not so much worried about below me as I have thick carpeting but more to the sides


I'm looking for a decent sub which will give me decent bass levels to compliment my current setup...I'm not looking for room shaking, blow the roof off type of subs...something which doesn't deliever too big of a kick but will still be worth having...so in other words a good value...can't a good sub deliver a low or subtle kick without having it shake the foundation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20876079


can't a sub deliver a low or subtle kick without having it shake the foundation?

My Outlaw LFM-2 (discontinued) is awesome! It's an 8-inch that plays better than any 10-inch I've ever heard. You'll want a sub like this. It delivers tight crisp bass (no booms or shaking the place, unless you want them and turn up bass volume).


I just ordered an Auralex SubdudeHD and that should take some of the vibrations away to help with neighbors. I'll post an update once I test it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20876105


My Outlaw LFM-2 (discontinued) is awesome! It's an 8-inch that plays better than any 10-inch I've ever heard. You'll want a sub like this. It delivers tight crisp bass (no booms or shaking the place, unless you want them and turn up bass volume).


I just ordered an Auralex SubdudeHD and that should take some of the vibrations away to help with neighbors. I'll post an update once I test it.

is there a new version of the LFM-2?...so I'll want to get something along the lines of an 8-inch versus 10 or 12 to help minimize the room shaking?...delivering tight, crisp bass with no booms or shaking is exactly what I'm looking for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20876137


is there a new version of the LFM-2?...so I'll want to get something along the lines of an 8-inch versus 10 or 12 to help minimize the room shaking?...delivering tight, crisp bass with no booms or shaking is exactly what I'm looking for

There is the LFM-1. Many different versions (LFM-1 compact, LFM-1, LFM-1 Plus, LFM-1 EX). Those all range from 10-inch to 12-inch. They're all great subs though. You don't necessarily need an 8-inch to get great results- keep in mind the bigger the driver the more air can be moved. I'd stick with Hsu or Outlaw if you want finesse that can become loud once you live in independent housing.
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20876079


around 20 ft length by 12 feet width...but it's not a closed space...it opens up into a kitchen and hallway in the back


I'm looking for a decent sub which will give me decent bass levels to compliment my current setup...I'm not looking for room shaking, blow the roof off type of subs...something which doesn't deliever too big of a kick but will still be worth having...so in other words a good value...can't a good sub deliver a low or subtle kick without having it shake the foundation?

That's a pretty large space for a "small" sub to pressurize, so it might struggle to give you much discernible response. Be that as it may, perhaps one of these are worth considering...


Since you're already an Aperion customer, what about the Bravus IIa 8D ? It's small, and the -3dB point is only 33Hz, so it won't rattle your walls.


The Emotiva Ultra 12 has already been mentioned, but it's probably worth a serious look.


Pinnacles Baby Boomer has a lot of what you mentioned.


Definitive Technologies makes good speakers. Their SuperCube III is a nice sub, but don't believe the 16Hz lower frequency response. Upper 20's is more like it.


NHT has the B 10d .


Velodyne's MiniVee 10 is a killer sub, but unless you can find a sale the price doesn't meet your budget.


Paradigm's UltraCube 10 might do the trick.


Polk's microPro 1000 is a potential candidate. They also make a microPro 2000 , which is virtually identical, but has a gloss black exterior instead.


And then there's Sunfire, which has several potential options; Super Junior TS-SJ8 , HRS 10 and the SDS 10 . The first two, like the Velodyne, are outside your budget, unless you can find them on sale. If you buy before the 31st onecall.com will upgrade the SDS 8 to an SDS 10 free of charge .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20876105


My Outlaw LFM-2 (discontinued) is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20877284


That's a pretty large space for a "small" sub to pressurize, so it might struggle to give you much discernible response. Be that as it may, perhaps one of these are worth considering...

thanks for all the info and suggestions...my main listening position is actually around 10 ft away from the front speakers so it doesn't really matter as much if the audio does not carry over the entire 20 ft...after doing a ton of research this past weekend I think I've settled on the Hsu STF-1...this is actually very similar to the Outlaw LFM-2 (I think both were designed by Dr Hsu)

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html


yes it won't deliver booming bass but that's exactly why I think it might be perfect for my current needs...plus the price is good and most importantly they offer a free 30 day home evaluation...if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund (minus shipping)...this is actually what Aperion offers as well and is how I ended up purchasing them...I hear nothing but great things about the STF series and how it performs a lot better then it's low price would indicate


I might upgrade to the Hsu STF-2 because I hear they are better for HT use (can get to around 25 Hz)...anyone have any experience with the STF series or Hsu subs in general?


Edit: I hear Aperion speakers are great but their subs are not as good...that's the reason why I don't want to get the Bravus IIa 8D to match it with the rest of the Aperion speakers I currently have
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20877362


I might upgrade to the Hsu STF-2 because I hear they are better for HT use (can get to around 25 Hz)...anyone have any experience with the STF series or Hsu subs in general?

The Hsu subwoffers are well regarded, so I don't imagine you can go wrong with one. Their unique (bizarre?) shapes, and rather large size, are a turn off for me, so I've never really considered them to be a viable option. But hang around these forums long enough and you'll encounter plenty of people who own them.


I would, however, caution you against getting something "good enough". I've made that same mistake in the past -- buying a sub that fit my needs -- only to realize my needs were greater then I had anticipated. It always wiser to get a sub a bit larger then you think is required and tone it down, then to try and push something that's too small (which is an exercise in futility).


With that in mind -- and assuming you have your heart set on Hsu -- you should probably give strong consideration to the STF -2 instead. That seems like it might be a better fit.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top