AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my klipsch promedia 5.1 system is dying due to the amp/electronics. I use this system for my computer and listen to about 50% music and 50% games. I'm looking to replace the sub/amp with a dedicated receiver and powered sub, and use the existing klipsch satellites. What would be a good sub to get for this system? The room size is smallish square (12x12 or 15x15 I think) and my budget is in the $150-$300 range.

One of my concerns is that since my satellites are small with 3" drivers, I would like a sub that is very musical and can produce the midrange frequencies clearly. I would probably set the crossover to 120 hz, or maybe even 150 hz for these speakers, so I don't want a big boomy sub. Also I want a sub that performs at least as well as the original promedia sub, which is a dual 8" sub which I quite like.

Alternatively, I could also upgrade my home theater's sub and use the current one for my computer. It is an Athena as-p400. The room it is in is something like 15x25 feet I think. The p400 does a good job, I like the quality of sound it puts out and there's only a few instances where I think I need more power there. But I could upgrade it to a bigger 12" sub more suited to movies and use the p400 for music on my computer.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I haven't tried it but I've read that the subs are repairable if you have the skills and tools but I agree it's time to move on, however I'd go ahead and replace the speakers to. I used to own a Promedia Ultra 5.1 and my suggestion is start with used receiver ($50-75) and go from the digital output of your sound card to the digital input of the receiver for best quality.

I'm not an expert on $200 subwoofers so I can't help there, but if it were me I'd probably buy a quality sub . Keep in mind that the Klipsch satellites should crossover to the sub between 125 and 150hz.

Later I'd upgrade to the fronts to three Behringer B2030P studio monitors. The B2030Ps excel near-field and make great desktop speakers, but also work well in small to mid-sized rooms as bookshelf speakers. Note - when shopping be aware that some price them as singles and others as pairs. You can hear these at your local Guitar Center. If you must have 5.1 then 3 Behringers up front and 2 of the Promedia satellites will work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like those Behringer speakers and may upgrade to something like those in the near future. I don't need 5.1, in fact I'd probably prefer a 4.1 setup since a center speaker in a computer-desk type environment is hard to position well and isn't really needed. In this thread though I'm just interested in subwoofer advice for now, thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.