AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new subwoofer. My Infinity PS12 died earlier this week, the built-in amplifier is busted. It still turns on but it cuts off after about 45-60 minutes. And then just pops on & off until I let it cool down again. And of course its 3 months out of warranty, so I'm looking to replace it. I was very happy with the sound it produced. But I'm not buying Infinity again as they don't make parts for it anymore, so can't get it fixed. What the hell it is only 3 years old!

I'm living in a condo so the living room area is a little small about 1600sq. ft. or 2450sq. ft. if you include the dining room area which is part of the same space. The PS12 was plenty of sub for my space, I definitely don't need to get any louder!! My neighbors would kill me, haha... I really can't exceed the footprint of the PS12 as space is pretty limited. The PS12 measured in at: 14-3/8"W x 17-1/2"H x 18-11/16"D. I could go slightly bigger, but depth is pretty limited.

My System Setup:

Samsung LNT-4061F

Onkyo TX-SR504

Infinity Primus Bookshelf (x4)

Infinity Primus Center

The Infinity Primus Bookshelf & Center Speakers have a Frequency Range of 100Hz - 20kHz, so need something that can do ~18-20Hz-100Hz quite well. The PS12 dropped off at 25Hz, it would be nice to get down to 20Hz or slightly below that if I can manage it.

I mainly do movies and games (Xbox 360) on my system. As well as just regular TV watching, but I don't usually have the sub turned up much when watching TV.

I was looking at these SVS Subs:
PC12-NSD
PB10-NSD

Both have a pretty small footprint which I'm looking for. I'm kinda leaning toward the PC12-NSD, but open to any other suggestions. Trying to keep this under $600.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16919943

You realize those deep bass frequencies are going to travel straight into your neighbors unit right? I would look at the SB12+ or Dayton T1203K

I'm on the bottom floor, no one living below me. Never had any complains with the PS12 and it puts out pretty deep bass.

The floors are pretty well insulated in my complex, so never even hear anyone above us.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how about the HSU STF-2 Subwoofer?

I've kinda decided to try to keep my cost down for now and just try to find something that would at least compare to the Infinity PS12. The biggest difference I see is less power on the amp and it is a 10" vs 12" sub.

Anyone know how this would compare to the Infinity?

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
The best of the subs you have mentioned is the SVS PB-12 NSD, however, it measures 18 wide X 21 high X 25 deep. If you have the space, it should hold you for a long, long time.

If it is too big, the newly revised PB-10 NSD at 15 X 19 X 21 should be more than sufficient.

The HSU STF-2 will not play quite as deep as either SVS. You might not notice that since your Infinity did not play under 20 Hz like either SVS will.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a similar size room, a little smaller, I am running an MFW 15 on the left, and an EPIK Phoenix to the right side...

I am content with the output and extension now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I setup my PB10-NSD last night!

Tried to calibrate things as best as I could, but couldn't quite get the sound I was looking for. The low-end is just amazing. But there was a definite void between about ~35-55Hz.

I ran REW and that confirmed that with about a -6 to -8dB dip around those frequencies. What would be the best way to get that back in line, without spending a TON of cash? Using an Onkyo TX-SR504 Receiver currently.

Made a crude graph with Excel, this is from memory. So not really exact.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane /forum/post/16954203

Alright I setup my PB10-NSD last night!

Tried to calibrate things as best as I could, but couldn't quite get the sound I was looking for. The low-end is just amazing. But there was a definite void between about ~35-55Hz.

I ran REW and that confirmed that with about a -6 to -8dB dip around those frequencies. What would be the best way to get that back in line, without spending a TON of cash? Using an Onkyo TX-SR504 Receiver currently.

Made a crude graph with Excel, this is from memory. So not really exact.

Move it around to a better sounding spot would be the first thing i'd do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts