AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a sub recommendation for my first HT.


Here are my stats:

1. Budget - I am currently piecing together the speaker system as funds are saved. I have my FL and FR and the sub was going to be my next piece followed by the center then surrounds. With that said, what I was looking to spend in total was no more than $500 shipped. Once, again since this is my first HT I am getting antsy to hear what a sub could add, so my original thoughts were to get a PA-120 now, and then after saving more get another to add it to get to the total of $500. Or would it be better to wait a little longer (thought the wait would be difficult) and get a single sub towards the top of my budget?


2. Size requirements - I don't really have any size requirements for the box nor the size of the driver. I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck, no WAF requirements as this is MY theater (or that's what I tell myself. She gets the whole rest of the house can't I have my little man cave?)


3. Room dimensions - The room an L shaped basement with one leg of the L designated as the HT. So that means that the room is open to the back of the HT to the rest of the basement. The dimensions of the actual HT part is 12x16x6.5 (this part of the basement is under a sunken family room and has a suspended ceiling, hence the low ceiling height). So the volume of what I consider the HT part to be is about 1250 cubic ft.


4. Primary Uses - 90% Movies/TV, 5% gaming 5% Music


5. Listening habits - I won't be bringing down the house very often as I have a 1.5 year old so that limits when I can let it rip. However when I have freinds over once in a while, I would like to open it up and watch WOTW or something and really feel it.


6. Appearance - I'd like it to be black, which is one of the reasons why I'm wavering on my original thought of the PA-120 as I can't find anywhere with free shipping that has anything other than cherry.


7. Timeframe - As I said earlier, I am getting antsy, but can wait if convinced.


I hope this is enough information to get some good recommendations.


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
I would stretch your budget a bit for a Outlaw Audio LFM-1 plus, or a ED A3-300, or a HSU VTF2.3, or a SVS PB12. These aren't that much more expensive, but they have a lot more performance for the money. The subs below this price point do not really compare performance wise, these are all a big step up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for some of the suggestions. A quick question though, when you say that they have a lot more performace for the money, what do you mean exactly? Are they louder, tighter, dig lower, etc? As I said, I'm new to this so I'm not sure what all of the differences are.


Also, how much is too much (this may be a ridiculous question for this forum)? But I looked at the HSU VTF-2 MK3 and it says that it is for a large room (defined as 4500 cubic ft a little over three times the size of my room). So my question is, if I spend that much, will I only be able to turn it up to say 25% of its capabilities? What are the other benefits of the additional cash outlay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Buy the largest sub you can get, like the VTF 2 or A3 300. I wouldn't take the HSU room size rating serious. I have a sub in my room that would work in a room twice the size of mine. By going with a larger or more powerful sub you get something that will play lower and at higher dbs and less distortion, louder overall. I won't say they play "tigher" because not only does it depend on the sub, but if you room isn't that great acoustic wise or you have a bad sub placement, the most expensive sub isn't going to overcome those negatives. But if you take a cheap chinzy sub and put it in a bad location and then get a good expensive sub and but it there to the better sub will sound better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Those subwoofers are much better in every measurable way.

As for that room size thing, it's kind of a guide line, but not that hard of a rule. You can still benefit from a more powerful subwoofer in a smaller room. Along with what gtp said, you also get overhead, that is when there is a call for extra performance your sub will be there to handle those higher peaks in the low frequency soundtrack. Personally, I would want multiples of the power in that rule for cubic feet, but that is my preference in bass. None of those subs would be 'too much', trust me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/17028856


Those subwoofers are much better in every measurable way.

As for that room size thing, it's kind of a guide line, but not that hard of a rule. You can still benefit from a more powerful subwoofer in a smaller room. Along with what gtp said, you also get overhead, that is when there is a call for extra performance your sub will be there to handle those higher peaks in the low frequency soundtrack. Personally, I would want multiples of the power in that rule for cubic feet, but that is my preference in bass. None of those subs would be 'too much', trust me.

I have a similar situation to the OP but have a much larger space to fill (6000 cu.ft.). I was thinking about going dual PA-120s because it was my assumption that two 200W(rms) 12" subs would better fill this space than a single 250W(rms) 12" sub (VTF 2 for example). Am I right in assuming this or will a single VTF 2 sub still outperform two PA-120s in this large of a space? I just have trouble seeing how 250W > 400W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerium /forum/post/17029392


I have a similar situation to the OP but have a much larger space to fill (6000 cu.ft.). I was thinking about going dual PA-120s because it was my assumption that two 200W(rms) 12" subs would better fill this space than a single 250W(rms) 12" sub (VTF 2 for example). Am I right in assuming this or will a single VTF 2 sub still outperform two PA-120s in this large of a space? I just have trouble seeing how 250W > 400W.

Dual PA-120s would likely give you higher db output capability over a single VTF-2 and the ability to help with room issues, probably the most output you'll get with duals at a $500 budget.


The PA-120 is an excellent choice at it's price point but single sub vs single sub the VTF-2 is in another class. Lower extension, tighter more defined response and more output capability. Just depends on what your looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think you've all convinced me. I'm going to save for a little longer and get the ED A3-300 (then perhaps down the road pick up a second one !!!) Of course this means I have to wait, so I think to appease my appetite I'm going to piece together the rest of the speakers in the meantime and finish with the sub. That would make for a dramatic finish to my system. Thanks for the help guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult_Daddy /forum/post/17047540


Well I think you've all convinced me. I'm going to save for a little longer and get the ED A3-300 (then perhaps down the road pick up a second one !!!) Of course this means I have to wait, so I think to appease my appetite I'm going to piece together the rest of the speakers in the meantime and finish with the sub. That would make for a dramatic finish to my system. Thanks for the help guys.

I think you are making the right choice. I have an A2-300 that i bought about a month or so before the a3-300's were announced, had i been in a timeframe to buy one i definitely would have waited, knowing what i know now. Now, don't get me wrong, the A2-300 is an awesome, very capable sub (and would blow the pants off the PA-120), but there are times where the extra output from the a3-300 would be nice. IMO you can't get a better deal from a respectable company on a sub, price/perf wise, than the A3-300.


Now, if aesthetics were a major concern, that may be cause to lean towards a HSU or SVS sub, but as long as you don't need fancy wood grains and what not, the eD subs are the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/17059302


why is no one pointing him in the direction of an MFW15 for $500.00? you can't beat those for the price, and the price is going up VERY soon.

Because at the moment the new amps are as yet untested and as such its hard to reccomend a person purchase a sub from a company which has exhibited problems in the past. Now don't get me wrong, i think said company has done an admirable job of mending wounds, but i'm not at the stage where i'm comfortable reccomending that sub without a caveat or caution.


I have no issues reccomending eD because i have paid my own money to purchase one of their products. And although there were some snafu's in the delivery due to some supplier issues, it was overall a good experience and i am pleased with the product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/17050922


Now, don't get me wrong, the A2-300 is an awesome, very capable sub (and would blow the pants off the PA-120),

would be very interested in seeing a direct comparison if anyone knows of someone who did one. might blow the pants off, or might be only a little better to the average listener.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top